Shared with You is an Apple social feature that highlights content that others want you to see. Here’s how to activate it in iOS 16 and macOS Ventura. When someone uses iMessage to share content from Apple TV, Apple Music, News, Podcasts, Safari, or Photos, the feature appears. Each app organizes the content within its own Shared with You section automatically. It’s a useful feature for staying up to date on media without forgetting.
Each app shows the section in a different location. Unless the contact has shared content via Messages, the Shared with You section will not appear.
Where to find Shared with You
To begin, go to the Settings control panel and select Messages. Then, hold down the toggle for Automatic Sharing. This same screen also allows you to turn individual Apple apps on and off.
Open Messages and navigate to Preferences by clicking it in the menu bar or pressing Command-Comma on the keyboard. There is a Shared with You tab with similar checkboxes.
- Apple TV: In the bottom left corner, tap the Watch Now button.
- Apple Music: Select the Listen Now option.
- Open a new browser tab and scroll through the Start Page in Safari. At the very bottom, tapping on the Edit button toggles Shared with You on or off.
- Tap the For You tab, then scroll down to Shared with You.
- Scroll down after selecting the Today tab.
- Tap the Listen Now tab and scroll down to find podcasts.
The entire procedure is automated. When someone shares content from these apps in an iMessage, it appears in the app in question. Dismiss the content with a long press on iOS and iPadOS, or a mouse click on macOS.
The contact’s photo and name will appear beneath the content in the Shared with You section from each of these apps. Tapping or clicking on their name initiates a Messages reply.
How to pin Messages content
- Open the Messages conversation that contains shared content.
- Hold the rich URL in your hand.
- Press the Pin button.
- To unpin the content, repeat the steps.
How to share content
- Apple TV: Select a TV show or movie, then tap the share button (a square with an arrow pointing upwards). Select Messages, then tap on the contact to send the message.
- Apple Music: Select the song or album, then tap the More button (three dots within a circle), followed by Share Song or Share Album. Select Messages, tap on the contact and then send.
- Safari: Navigate to a website and click the square Share button. Select Messages, tap on the contact and then send.
- Photos: Select a photo and press the square Share button. Select Messages, tap on the contact and then send.
- News: Choose an article and press the More button. Select Messages, tap on the contact and then send.
- Podcasts: Search for a podcast and tap the square Share button. Select Messages, tap on the contact and then send.
When you send content from these Apple apps to Messages, it will appear in the recipient’s Shared with You section.