The TI-84 Plus has been around for quite some time and was released in 2004 for the first time to be precise. It is, therefore, a graphical calculator much more recent than its big sister the TI-89 Titanium. Things have changed a bit since 2004 for Texas Instruments calculators in general and more specifically for the TI-84 Plus. More importantly, Texas Instrument has released a significant update for the TI-84 Plus family, the TI-84 Plus CE, a color-screened edition designed to make the TI-84 Plus a confident decade. However, the black and white version of the TI-84 Plus is still trendy and is often the best selling graphical calculator on Amazon. This means it’s time to spend time on a full review of the TI-84 Plus, which many students and students appreciate with a “2016” perspective and see how they are doing in the face of more recent calculators.
- Enhanced screen readability with high-resolution backlit display
- Distinguish between multiple graphs and plots with color-coded equations, plots and objects
- Make graphs easier to read by adding grid lines
- 30% lighter and thinner than earlier generations
- High resolution, full color backlit display
- Familiar TI-84 Plus Functionality
- Captivating Color, Optimal Display
- High-resolution, full-color backlit display
- Rechargeable battery
- Preloaded apps and images
- MathPrint feature
- Available in a variety of fun colors
|Strong Points||Weak Points|
The TI-84 Plus calculator is the one authorized by the IBO to be used in World Schools because it has great potential in facilitating the understanding of mathematics for all types of students.
It is a more powerful version than the TI-83 Plus. It stimulates the success of the high school student in math and science, combining more memory (three times more than the TI-83 Plus), a faster processor and connection to the computer.
This team, with a new design, has room for up to 30 applications, 10 of which are already included, for a great variety of subjects that are seen in the school. It includes all the features of the TI-83 Plus.
Table of Contents
- Suitable for the areas of:
- Description of Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Calculators
- Physical Characteristics Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus
- Accessories Included in the Texas Instruments Ti 84 Plus Calculator
- For Whom the TI-84 Plus is made?
- What is the OS 2.55 MP?
- Why is TI-84 Plus an excellent choice?
- How to use Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator
- TI-84 Plus vs. TI-84 Plus CE
Suitable for the areas of:
- Industrial engineer
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Robotic engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Electric engineering
- Electronic Engineering
Description of Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Calculators
- Compatible with the TI-83 Plus applications, programs, curricular content materials, and keystrokes.
- You can store up to 30 applications.
- 2.5x processor faster than the TI-83 Plus.
- Split screen of the graphic table, high contrast, eight lines of 16 characters, 64 x 96 pixels.
- Connect each model (student and teacher) to a back-viewable screen ViewScreen or TI-Presenter with a USB adapter (available in Autumn 2004).
- Includes a new clock and date function.
- It comes from the origin, with 10 Software applications already included.
- ROM memory available to the user: 480 KB.
- RAM available to the user: 24 KB.
- Calculate real and complex numbers with an accuracy of up to 14 digits, with 10-digit results and a 2-digit exponent.
Physical Characteristics Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus
- Height x width x length (mm) 190 x 84 x 22
- Weight (g.) 262
- Clamshell packaging
Accessories Included in the Texas Instruments Ti 84 Plus Calculator
- Manual and a resource CD with information about programs, computer software, and free Flash software.
- Instructions for downloading the electronic manual of the calculator.
- Brochure with available accessories.
- One memory stack
The Texas Instruments Ti 84 Plus calculator is the best option to help students understand math concepts and solve more easily the exercises they need to perform. This is a primordial tool to motivate and link students with the new technologies that we have today. Dynamism, easy use, and high tech are the main features that make the Ti 84 Plus calculator the best option to acquire this product today, contact us and enjoy its full functionality.
For Whom the TI-84 Plus is made?
Without a doubt, the TI-84 Plus was designed with high school students as their target. Also, many students use a TI-84 as their calculator of choice because their predecessors acclaim it. It is accepted on almost all standardized tests. Unfortunately, this calculator does not have the “exam mode” feature. It will therefore no longer be possible for BAC exams from 2018.
What is the OS 2.55 MP?
In the spring of 2010, Texas Instruments released the OS 2.53 MP, an operating system that eventually allowed the TI-84 to have the “MathPrint.” This means that the fractions look like fractions, that the exponents look like exponents and many more. Many new models that make advanced algebra and reading calculations a lot easier. It also allowed users to scroll through previous calculations to edit them and activate a series of “pop-up” accessible via the F1-F4 keys. It was an excellent update, eagerly awaited as the TI-84 Plus lagged behind the rival calculators of Casio and HP before this update. I was excited about this update, and my students gave me the impression that they had got a brand new calculator for free. About a year later, the 2.55 MP version was released, which continued to improve usability. Unfortunately, the TI-83 Plus did not get its update.
If anyone tries to tell you that the TI-83 Plus and the TI-84 Plus are identical calculators, you’ll have something to say. Since 2011, there has been no more updated Ti-84 Plus. We’ll see if Texas Instrument has a new surprise with this calculator.
If you ever want to download the latest version of the 2.55 MP OS, here is the official link.
Why is TI-84 Plus an excellent choice?
This is an easy question to answer. The TI-84 Plus has almost 100% acceptance in the educational community, or at least it has had them at some point. Some schools / high schools have now adopted or even require TI-Nspire CX. So I advise you to check with your school, but over the past 20 years, there has never been a graphical calculator more accepted by teachers, schools, and standardized exams than the TI-84 Plus.
Moreover, many mathematics teachers know how to use it and teach using it. If your teacher does not know, you will have no problem finding books, tutorials or videos to help you better master it. Many secondary textbooks are even written with annotations, specifically for the TI-84. Nevertheless, I must warn you that this calculator will no longer be allowed at the BAC from 2018 and that it will be necessary to go to programmable calculators with the option “Exam Mode.”
How to use Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator
TI-84 Plus vs. TI-84 Plus CE
But here’s the rub. The color offered by the latest TI-84 Plus CE is great, a real improvement on the black and white screen of the TI-84 Plus. The layout of the buttons is the same, and the menus are 99% similar, so if you had an older model, you would have no problem learning how to use the TI-84 Plus CE Color. Also, the TI-84 + CE has a much higher resolution screen, making it easier to read. The TI-84 + CE makes it possible for Texas Instruments programmers to better organize more information on the screen at the same time. The screen is backlit in addition to being in color, which makes the data easier to interpret. It is also much lighter, probably because of its rechargeable battery.
I think the picture speaks for itself. The newer version of the TI-84 Plus offers the ability to display graphics on photos, and has a rechargeable battery that can remain fully charged throughout the summer in sleep mode. If you are about to buy a programmable calculator and you hesitate between these two models, I suggest you buy a TI-84 Plus CE instead. It certainly costs a few more euros, but it’s worth it. I recommend you buy on Amazon with a free delivery.
I had a ton of experience working with students on the TI-84 Plus CE, from the high school classroom to the prep math glues. Even though it’s no longer Texas Instrument’s flagship – whose torch is now handed over to the TI-Nspire CX – it’s still a great calculator. I can not underestimate the influence this line of calculators has had on the mathematics education community. There is no doubt that part of the reason why high schools, colleges, universities, and prepares have been slow to adopt the latest IT model that is Nspire is due to the extreme popularity of the TI-84 and which is still so today. The different institutions invested in TI-84 software, and trained teachers on this specific calculator. It is for this reason that various teachers very widely recommend it.