Excessive sweating, tobacco smoke or other substances with a strong odor can leave an unpleasant smell on your clothes and, also, can be long-lasting. It is also quite common that when we leave a garment in the closet for a long time, then it has that typical smell like old clothes. Given this, some people wonder: how can I eliminate this unpleasant smell of my clothes?
It is clear that the first solution would be to put them in the washing machine and give them a good wash. However, it is likely that you can give the occasion where you want to put a garment at that moment and do not have enough time to put a washing machine or, you may not want to wash it so often to avoid estrous. In a COMO we want to give you solutions and, therefore, we have prepared this article in which we explain how to remove the bad smell of clothes without washing it with a series of home remedies. Take note of these tricks!
Table of Contents
Put your clothes in the freezer to remove the bad smell
This remedy to remove the bad smell of clothes without washing it may sound a little exaggerated. However, it is quite effective, especially with the denim garments, because the cold manages to eliminate the bad smell that remains impregnated due to the accumulation of bacteria when we leave the clothes stored for a long time in the closet. To perform this trick of putting the clothes in the freezer so that it does not smell bad, follow these steps:
- Carefully fold the jeans or garment you want and then put the clothes in an airtight bag.
- Then place it in the freezer and let it cool for 45 or 50 minutes.
- When the time that we have indicated has elapsed, remove the garment from the freezer and hang it for a few minutes so that the microorganisms that generate that smell with fresh air are eliminated.
Steam bath with apple cider vinegar to remove the bad smell of clothes
This trick is indicated especially for those times that we need a garment for that day and we do not have the time or desire to put it in the washing machine. Apple cider vinegar is a remedy that can be useful to eliminate odors for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which can neutralize the pestilence left by bacteria accumulated in our clothes. To use the vinegar to wash clothes and remove the bad smell, but without putting it in the washing machine, it is best to do a steam bath.
To make an apple vinegar steam bath to clean the clothes we will follow these steps:
- Go to the bathroom with the garment you want to put on and leave it near the shower, hanging somewhere.
- Then fill a bucket with very hot water and add half a glass of apple cider vinegar to the same container. Remove the mixture a little to dilute it well.
- Now it only remains to get in the shower and wash in the usual way. The atmosphere will be humid thanks to the steam of the shower and the mixture will be impregnated in the clothes until the bad smell is removed.
Baking soda to eliminate the bad smell of clothes
Sodium bicarbonate is a natural product that is precisely indicated for domestic use, such as dry cleaning of clothes. We include it in this list because it has, on the one hand, antiseptic and antibacterial properties that eliminate the accumulation of bacteria in a garment. Also, it also contains properties that regulate the pH, so it manages to neutralize odors from clothing.
To use the sodium bicarbonate to remove the bad smell of the garments just follow these simple steps:
- Spread the bicarbonate through the areas of the garment where the bad smell is most concentrated.
- The dose that you have to spread on clothes will depend on whether there are many or few areas that smell bad.
- Once you have spread the bicarbonate all over the garment, let it act for about 1 hour so that the substance absorbs the pestilence of the clothes and then shake it until the bicarbonate dust is removed.
Tea tree oil to remove the unpleasant odor from unwashed clothes
The tea tree essential oil is another very effective remedy to remove the bad smell of clothes without washing because due to its richness in antioxidants and flavonoids have powerful antiseptic properties and also has a potent and aromatic smell. Thanks to this, the tree oil disinfects and eliminates the accumulation of malodorous agents, removing even the most unpleasant odors from garments.
To use the tea tree oil to remove the bad smell of the clothes you just have to follow this step by step:
- Mix a half glass of water in a bottle with half a teaspoon of tea tree oil.
- Shake the mixture every time you use it and then vaporize the mixture for the areas of the garment where the bad smell is stronger, but do it with the sprayer a hand or two away from the garment to avoid stains.
- Finally, let the clothes dry for 5 or 10 minutes in a place where the air gives.