Our tips for nursing mothers – For many nursing mothers, pumping the milk while breastfeeding is now and again an issue. That way they can get their freedom. Separation times between a mother and her baby can be the Nutritionally smooth bridge.
Table of Contents
From when does breastfeeding work as in sleep?
For newborns and their mothers breastfeeding is initially a learning process. Normally, mother and child are only after six to eight weeks a well-rehearsed team. The baby is then so familiar with the technique of breastfeeding that even a vial with a nipple does not immediately bring it out of the concept. Midwives, therefore, recommend that they do not accumulate breast milk supplies during the week.
Pumping off milk: before, during or after breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding women who want to store smaller supplies for occasional periods of separation should pump milk preferably after breastfeeding. Example:
- The nurse knows: Mostly her baby drinks about every three hours.
- After breastfeeding, a maximum of 15 minutes can be pumped off via a double pump set.
- Subsets of no more than 24 hours can be collected.
- If necessary, feed the required amount of milk with the vial.
Breastfeeding women, who want to regularly cover several meals, for example, because they return to their daily work, have to pump off during their absence. The entire amount of milk is then stored accordingly. In order, she is available for the time of absence. Pumping off milk while mother and baby are separated can sometimes be a bit tricky because the milk donor reflex is triggered more slowly. A photo of the baby helps! But with a little practice, it usually works quite well.
Pump out breast milk properly, store and warm up
Regardless of whether the pumping is occasionally or regularly: A manual or electric breast pump adapted to the needs is a great help. The midwife or lactation consultant well explain the handling of the different models. Also, some suitable storage containers are still needed, such as breastmilk bottles or bisphenol A-free plastic bags, which can not be affected by freezing. If the baby is then chickeny, the milk must be brought back to the right temperature.
Manual or electric breast pump?
Unfortunately, this question can not be answered without further ado. Thus, a hand milk pump, which was originally purchased for the occasional pumping, can also prove very well in continuous use. Some mothers also find self-determined pumping to be pleasant while disturbing the permanent rhythm of an electric breast pump. On the other hand, high-quality electric pumps can be regulated very finely, so that they always work individually, adapted to the current situation. Electric double milk pumps empty both breasts simultaneously. So you have the additional advantage that the pumping process is twice as fast. From a hormonal point of view, a double pump set is the most effective because it uses every milk donor reflex (takes place every 3 minutes) on both breasts.
Often, mothers report that it took a while to get the milk they wanted. This is completely normal. Nothing is as effective for the flow of milk as a baby sucking on the breast. On the other hand, studies show that after a suitable adjustment phase, the milk yield could be significantly increased as a result of regular pumping.
Incidentally, some women swear on the accumulation of a certain amount of milk without a pump. You succeed in emptying the chest with skillful strokes of the hands. Breastfeeding consultants and midwives also show this technique.
Interesting: There are also women who fully breastfeed their baby, where each pump but do not carry a drop of milk from the chest! Not abnormal! Midwives like to help with mothers who still need or want to be separated from their child.
Storage of breast milk
Hygiene is, of course, the top priority! Lockable glass containers are just as suitable for storage as plastic containers made of polypropylene or special breast milk bags. Normal freezer bags or ice packs are not suitable due to the plasticizers or other chemical substances that may be present.
Sterilization is not necessary, washing in hot water or the dishwasher and then thoroughly rinsing off all soap residues are completely sufficient. While hand washing is mandatory, neither the breast nor the nipple needs to be washed off before emptying.
- Storage at room temperature: The storage of freshly pumped breast milk at a temperature between 17 ° C and 25 ° C is easily possible for up to eight hours. In summer temperatures, this time is reduced to about three to four hours.
- Store in the refrigerator: Here the breast milk holds 72 hours. Please do not store in the refrigerator door; it is not cold enough there.
- Freezing: It is recommended to freeze the breast milk in airtight containers and typical serving sizes. Please keep in the back of the freezer. This is how she keeps herself optimally for at least six months.
Attention! Please do not give freshly pumped milk to already frozen breast milk. Otherwise, the already stored milk will be reheated. There is then the danger of uncontrolled nucleation.
Warming up breast milk
For the baby to consume the frozen milk, it must first be thawed and warmed up. In the refrigerator it takes a few hours, in a water bath it is faster, but it means work. If you want to warm the milk particularly gently and quickly for the baby, use a bottle warmer. This warms the milk evenly to the optimum temperature so that all vitamins and nutrients are preserved.
Never heat the milk in the microwave, which can make the milk too hot in places and valuable ingredients can be destroyed.
Once warmed up milk should not freeze again. In the fridge, it keeps open for about 12 hours.
- All methods that let the breast milk flow out without sucking the baby are summarized under the term milk pumping (by hand, the purpose of the pumping off (occasionally, regularly) and on the personal preferences of the woman.
- The professional storage and hygienic handling of the pumped breast milk protect baby’s healthful pump, electric pump, double pump).
- The choice of method depends on the.