Is your dog pregnant and has fleas? Sometimes, a pregnant bitch can spend a lot of time in the field or land of the house and get infected with parasites or, you may have found a street dog that is pregnant and full of parasites. Whatever the case, then you need to solve this problem as soon as possible, but you can not use conventional anti-flea products, as they could affect the puppies that are on the way.
In a COMO we know how complicated it can be, that’s why we give you expert advice and tell you How to Get Rid of Fleas on a Pregnant Dog. Take note of these tips on how to do it and the best natural remedies suitable for dogs in this situation.
Table of Contents
Why anti-flea products are not suitable for pregnant bitches
There are a variety of products to prevent and eliminate fleas in our pets, but in the case of pregnant bitches are not good, as in the case of needing to remove fleas from newborn puppies. There is not a pipette for pregnant bitches, so in this way, you can only use these products in case a veterinarian recommends it and it will have to be the product and the exact dose that it prescribes.
The reason why these antifungal products are not suitable for pregnant bitches is that they can affect the fatos or puppies in development, besides that the dogs at this stage are with the most sensitive health and could cause them some problem as a reaction.
For this reason, below we tell you how you can get rid of the annoying fleas in your pregnant dog without harming her or her puppies.
How to eliminate fleas from a pregnant bitch
Since you can not use the usual products, you’ll be asking yourself the best way to get fleas off a pregnant bitch. Pay attention!
- Latex gloves
- Old clothes
- Essential oil with a strong odor
- Warm water
- Shampoo for puppies or oats
- Lies’ comb
Steps to remove fleas from a pregnant bitch
- Put on a hat that covers your hair and clothes that you do not mind if you have to throw away and, also, wear rubber gloves or latex. In this way, you can protect yourself better against fleas. Another idea is that before you start you apply a few drops of tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil because it will repel them and they will not jump on you to stay.
- Once the above is ready, prepare a tub or tub with warm water, not to exceed 27ºC.
- Place your dog in the water telling her nice things and caressing her to reassure her, since it is vital that she does not have stress during pregnancy, at least not more than what the fleas are already causing her.
- Wet it well but be careful not to get water in your ears.
- Apply shampoo for puppies or oatmeal shampoo, which is exceptionally gentle and good for the care of your skin, which will be with wounds from the bites. This shampoo will relieve the itch, the wounds and help you get rid of the fleas.
- Massage in a circle all the body of your dog, careful not to shampoo in the eyes or ears. You will see that many fleas are already falling into the water.
- Take a comb for lice, which have many fine metal tines and together, it serves the same to eliminate fleas and their eggs. Pass this comb through all the fur of your faithful companion, taking care not to squeeze or damage the skin. Be especially careful with your face, belly and genital area.
- When you get the fleas out of your dog’s coat, go crushing them and throwing them away, or putting them in a bucket with water, not in the bathtub or tub where your hairy one is.
- When you think you have removed all or most of them, empty the tub or tub and then use warm water to rinse your hair completely, taking care that no more of these parasites remain attached to the hair or skin, or stay in the tub or tub. Rinse all the shampoo, but make sure you do not get water in your ears.
- Finally, dry it very well by squeezing the maximum amount of water with your hands, letting it shake and using towels. It is not advisable to use a dryer, but if it can not be dried in the open air because there is no adequate temperature, it is best to use the dryer at a natural temperature (neither hot nor cold) and at least one meter away from your skin and hair In such a case, it is convenient that you use more towels, but do not leave it without drying well to avoid health problems in its delicate state.
Check here all possible questions about ” Can I bathe my pregnant bitch? “, But we anticipate that if it is at the end of pregnancy is not recommended and, therefore, you will have to assess the situation and see what is the best solution with the help of a veterinarian who will see her in person and assess her health and that of the puppies.
Home remedies to remove fleas from a pregnant bitch
Apart from following the process described above, to remove the fleas from a pregnant bitch, you can use some very effective remedies. The most advisable is to bathe her, except if she is at the end of pregnancy, and to use one of these remedies later, in this way the treatment will be more complete and effective.
Write down these home remedies to remove fleas from a pregnant bitch :
- Essential oils: the best are eucalyptus, tea tree, citruses such as orange, rosemary, thyme and lavender. You only need to apply a few drops of one of these essences or a mixture of them together with a good amount of olive oil. The olive oil will help to spread essential oils while taking care of the hair and skin of the bitch. Apply the mixture on the cross and neck of the dog, in areas where it does not get to lick and massage.
- Apple cider vinegar: this natural product also scares off these parasites. Dilute a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a large glass of water. Moisten a cotton cloth in this mixture and with this rub well but carefully the body of your pregnant hairy.
- Chamomile: this plant also helps repel fleas. Prepare an infusion of chamomile, let it cool well and wet a cloth when it is at room temperature. Rub the cotton cloth soaked in chamomile with the fur and skin of your faithful companion, carefully but insisting on the areas where you see more parasites.
Do not also forget to protect yourself as we discussed in the previous section to avoid getting infected with fleas. Remember also that it is vital that you value the health of your dog a veterinarian, who is the one who will tell you the best option to treat it entirely and avoid more problems. Also, of course, do not forget to eliminate fleas from the rest of your house. For this, you can consult this other article on unCOMO in which we explain How to remove fleas from our home.