Breastfeeding is the optimal form of nutrition for infants during the first month of life. But what happens when the time has come for feeding solid food? Penile timetables, exact breed recipes, and children are no longer in some families.
More and more parents are starting to play the game more easily. They do without completely purified baby sludge. The children are free to decide what and how much they want to eat. If necessary, the mother continues to breastfeed until the child no longer wants milk.
Baby led weaning, so a baby control controlled by the baby, which usually goes on for a few months.
Baby-led Weaning as an alternative to the classical weaning
The method Baby-led Weaning (BLW), published for the first time by the British pediatric nurse Gill Rapley, translates as “baby-controlled weaning”. It is about the fact that there is normal family food instead of porridge from the beginning. The trigger for this type of habituation of solid food was observations that the youngest showed themselves to be very interested in food from about their sixth month onwards. The proponents of BLW regard breast feeding as an ideal introduction. Stilled children regulate their food supply themselves, which is why it is not possible to feed a breast-fed baby.
As soon as the child shows interest, it receives appropriate food from the family. It eats only what it puts itself in the mouth, crushed and swallows. The mother continues to breastfeed as needed but does not feed actively. The Baby determines the baby-led weaning alone, when, in what quantities and at what rate the transition from the exclusive mother milk feeding to solid food takes place.
Without chewing teeth?
First, of course, mother’s milk babies is most important food. As soon as it can sit upright on the high chair or lap, it will examine all foodstuffs that can be grasped very carefully and “experiment” with it. The baby will suck on it and swallow something by accident. There is still plenty of time to fill up. This is why breastfeeding is so important as is necessary.
At the beginning, the following foods are particularly suitable:
- Soft fruit and vegetables (hard varieties better stew). The pieces should be so large that they can hold the baby well and hold it in the fist.
- Soup, yogurt, pudding & Co. for the first attempts with the spoon.
- Water or mild tea to practice drinking from the cup.
The small ones are in a position to crush solid, soft food even without teeth sufficiently. It is sucked, sucked, pushed back and forth in the mouth and larger chunks are already successfully crushed. This can take a little longer, of course, so the parents should be patient.
In addition, it is very important to never leave the child unattended, because it will surely swallow from time to time. Then reflexes have creeped and the little thing that has just been in the mouth flies in high Bow out again. However, supporters of the Baby-led Weaning assume that babies often swallow themselves when the classic start of Beikost the spoon with mash are simply pushed into the mouth.
BLW – important rules:
- Even if the child over a long period of time consumes only very little solid food: no tricks, no compulsion! As long as it is full, the child gets what it needs.
- The child decides on tempo and quantity. Hustle and hurry are out of place.
- If the baby likes porridge, it can eat porridge. If it likes “finger food”, also good. A mixing mold is also possible.
- Never leave the baby unattended while holding food in her hand or mouth.
Tip: In the first time, it looks not only on the table, but also beside and under it often, as on a Battlefield. Unless a clean floor is available, a spread plastic tarpaulin under the Hochstühlchen helps to limit the “damage” a little.
What are the advantages of Baby-led Weaning?
- Neither the child nor the parents, coercion or pressure arise.
- The family can eat together. It is not an exclusively engaged with feeding.
- The child learns food from the very beginning in its original form and with unadulterated taste.
- The child develops an optimal saturation feeling, which is proven to prevent later overweight.
- The coordination and motor skills are already trained very early.
- The process of stopping is gradual and natural.
- It also goes without mash.
- The greatest hurdle is mostly the insecurity of the parents.
- Breastfeeding as needed is essential for baby-led weaning.
- The conversion phase from pure mother milk to a solid diet usually takes several months.
- A lot of patience and composure is necessary until the baby is fed up with food.
- However, there are many advantages to this. Each family must ultimately decide for itself whether it wants the classical way of the introduction of the contaminated or wants to try out BLW.