The okra is one of the oldest vegetables worldwide. They are delicious and very exotic, making them suitable for original but straightforward dishes. Here is a recipe for how to prepare the okra.
Cooking the ingredients for the okra
- About one kilogram of okra
- a few drops of lemon juice
- possibly other spices
- olive oil
- an onion
- two ripe tomatoes
Instructions for preparation
- Before you can start preparing the okra, wash the okra under running water. Then the end of the stem is removed. Cut the pod sharply, like a pencil.
- Put every okra you have cut into a bowl of water, into which you add a few drops of lemon juice. This will prevent the okra from starting to oxidize on contact with the air before cooking, thus forming brown spots.
- Drain the okra well and place in a casserole dish. Salt the okra and sprinkle it a little with vinegar.
- Now the okra must rest for another two to three hours. You can also put the okra in direct sunlight. Then dry the okra pods well.
- Heat some oil in a pan and carefully heat the okra in it.
- In a second pot fry the onions. Then add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes. The sauce is then seasoned with salt and pepper.
- For this recipe, add the sauce to the okra. Now you have to cook the okra in the sauce until they are soft.
If necessary, add a little water so that nothing burns.
Tips and Tricks
- Since the okra pods inside have a sticky liquid, which they secrete during cooking and thus give the court an involuntary bond, you must note the following: The okra always before cooking for one to two hours in lemon water or blanch the okra briefly in vinegar water.