With the arrival of summer and high temperatures, insects and also external parasites proliferate more. It is very common for fleas or ticks to affect dogs more, thus extending the presence of these “bugs” to the home. And it is not necessary that the animals are in blocks or farms to be affected by these small insects. In the city, contagion can also occur. Also, the house is not only filled with fleas by pets. Other factors such as inadequate hygiene are a breeding ground for them.
Among the remedies to eliminate them is Carolina. A product that should be used well to avoid causing problems in human health or pets. In a COMO we explain how to use Carolina for fleas. You can also read How to Get Rid of Fleas on a Pregnant Dog?
Table of Contents
What is Carolina and what is it used for?
Despite the small size of the fleas, killing them completely is difficult. A reason why specific products are needed to eliminate them. One of the most used is creolin, which is a natural disinfectant.
This product is extracted from the dry distillation of the wood, extracting from the vapors that are produced in this process the vegetable turpentine or turpentine essence. The residue that remains is like a kind of dark-colored mass, which looks very similar to a syrup, although its name varies because it is creosote.
This substance is formed by phenol or phenolic acid and cresol or cresyl acid, which gives it a great disinfecting power that is used in many products such as those used to kill fleas. This is the base of the Carolina, which can be bought in drugstores or specialized stores under different brands.
Precautions before using creolin to kill fleas
Although creolin is a natural disinfectant, we must be careful with its use because it has a certain level of toxicity, which goes beyond the affections in the respiratory system that can be caused by its strong odor.
The main problem is in phenols, which is its most toxic part. Among the consequences for health are gastrointestinal problems, apart from also producing liver or kidney problems such as a darkening of urine and even neurological. It is also possible to have hemolytic anemia. Normally, these conditions occur when the creolin comes into contact with the skin.
Its consequences can even be more harmful since some studies relate it to cancer, although they are studies that are not 100% corroborated.
The most advisable, whenever we are going to use this product, is to use rubber gloves, protective goggles and a mask. Also, it is good to wear clothes that are not used frequently and that does not matter if they have to be thrown away if they have been stained. If you can, it’s best to put on a rubber jumpsuit. You can even read How to get rid of sand fleas on your body?
First steps before using creolin to eliminate fleas
Before using creolin, it is important to detect which is the source of origin of the appearance of the fleas, in addition to locating the larvae. Otherwise, you can never end them, which is already difficult in itself because of its small size and its ability to hide. In this way, in the presence of fleas, these steps should be followed:
- Make a thorough cleaning of the room in particular and the entire house in general.
- Pay special attention to bedsteads and mattresses, bedding or other household textiles, as well as carpets and sofas because they are very popular with fleas. If an article is very infected, it is better to throw it directly.
- If there are animals in the home, you must remove the fleas from the pet and clean very well in all the areas where you usually live. Do not forget that these “bugs” feed on the blood of our pets, so it is common for the larvae to be where the pet animals lie down.
This cleaning should be done with products and disinfectant soaps, in addition to being able to vacuum the textile or use the steam wand.
How to use creolin for fleas
Once that previous cleaning has been done, it is time to apply the Carolina to finish the fleas permanently. In general, when you buy the product in commercial establishments, there are usually indications of its use, which may vary depending on the level of phenols. And is that housing is not the same as having to disinfect a stable of horses.
Anyway, you can give some general guidelines for the use of this product to end these “tenants” so annoying and who have not been invited to stay at home:
- Prepare the solution with the product: the most usual thing is to have to mix the creolin with a little water. Normally, it is 10% water, but it is important to read the instructions because, if the mixture is not done well, it loses effectiveness.
- Brush: this solution has to be spread throughout the affected area that is a firm surface, which can be done with the help of brushes, mops or sponges, among other utensils. Do not forget that it should also be applied to floors, walls and ceilings.
- Textiles: in the case of some textiles, it will be convenient to make a spray with the product for all the bedding, quilts or carpets.
- Act: this product must be allowed to act between ten minutes and a half hour at least.
- Rinse: after allowing the creolin to act, it is time to rinse with plenty of water to thoroughly remove the product.
- Ventilate: before using the room or room where the crepe has been applied, it is advisable to ventilate well so that all the odor is gone.
- Repeat this process (from the most in-depth cleaning to the use of creolin); it will be convenient to repeat it for at least 15 days or until it is no longer fleas. Also, it is recommended to paint the walls and ceiling of the rooms that have been affected.
With these tips on how to use crepe for fleas, you can kill them. From unCOMO, we always recommend that you consult with professionals and experts the most appropriate solution if you have this problem at home.