We have selected the 10 best planer from 35 (WEN 6534, Bosch pl2632k, Dewalt dw735X, Wen 6552T, Powermatic 1610086K, PORTER-CABLE PC160JT, Cutech 40200H-CT, Delta 22-590, WEN 6550T and Dewalt dw734) by focusing on 14 key areas: weight, motor power, blade, shallow depth, chip extraction, workbench, handle, switch, materials, durability, price, reputation and overall performance on the basis of 5 types – handheld, Thickness, jointer, portable and benchtop. This is the most popular tool carpenters regularly use. Whether it is to refurbish old furniture, house construction or in the garden. Finding the desired one is not so easy. Most power tools of this type relatively similar. So, before buying check our test results to get the best one for you.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Planer Reviews
- What is to be considered when buying an electric planer?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What accessories are available for electric planers?
- 2. What are the safety instructions?
- 3. Can any vacuum cleaner be connected to the planer?
- 4. Can spare blades be easily bought up and where can they be found? Are they universally applicable for all models, or does each manufacturer or model have its format?
- 5. How does an electric planer work?
10 Best Planer Reviews
A. Best Handheld Planer Reviews
You can think about handheld to be the original creation. They have a serrated blade parallel to the wood surface that you then roll across the surface of timber beginning from the lesser thickness end towards the higher density end. This cuts off wood from the surface, strip by strip until the whole surface is leveled. We tested 5 of this type ( Bosch PL2632K, Makita XPK01Z, PORTER-CABLE PC60THP, Triton TPL180 1500W and WEN 6530) and selected 2 of them.
Best For – Used as a side tool for polishing purposes.
Pros – Can always be practiced, requires no specialization or power.
Cons – Takes an extended period to level wood, leaves a lot of timber filings and chips, not meant for decreasing thickness beyond 1 inch.
#1. WEN 6534 – Our 1st Choice
The WEN 6534 8-Amp 4-3/8 Inch is known as the smooth finishing power master with the most excellent rating we’ve noticed in a handheld pattern. It has converted to one of the top-seller on Amazon, and with all 5-star reviews by the buyers, it’s clear to see why. At this price, you’ll have a tough time getting one that betters and was specially created to deliver your finishing job almost effortlessly. It helps to fix stubborn doors, wood even squaring boards. For flattening sharp post corners, it has two V-shaped chamfer grooves in the base plate. Its two-way dust port is fantastic to help users managing loose shavings and keeping the workspace clean. It is equipped with a 32,000 RPM motor which is more than speed for grabbing a wide array of outlines which provides you a faster stock replacement. It means you will get over 530 cuts per second. The extent adjustment knob enables you to change the depth cutting for a precise, accurate cut every time. What’s interesting about it, though, is that it is made for a unique role. If you notice yourself forming arches and arcs in the woods, then you won’t require considering any other product.
- Easy to use and too fast to work.
- Works perfectly for straight and glass smooth edge like fixing doors.
- Its V-shaped groove on the bottom is fantastic for doing chamfers.
- It prevents a lot of arm weariness.
- Light Weight.
- Low priced but a high-quality product.
- You can set the dust collection bag on either side.
- You can quickly change the direction of shaving discharge and the depth of cut.
- It has 16 depth stops.
- Its automatic kickstand prevents damage to your workpiece and blades.
- Its super sharp blade spins at very high speed.
- Dust collecting works best with a shop vac.
- The blades last longer.
- The depth control knob required to have a lock.
- It’s a bit noisy to me and without earplug, I use it for 10 to 15 minutes.
Need a workbench for accurate planning.
#2. Bosch pl2632k
- Powerful motor helps fast and smooth finishing.
- Easy to use.
- Safety buttons simple to operate.
- Excellent price point.
- Virtually reduces marring of doors and trim.
- Can be used with powerful steel blades.
- Advanced safety with lock-off.
- Comfortable soft-grip handle.
- The durability of the carrying cases is super.
- Its dust ports are located on both sides of the tool which helps the large shavings bags.
- Its spring loaded tool protects the blade.
- It is durable because it is made of a poly micro v-drive belt for durability.
- It’s not noisy.
- You can connect a vacuum to either side.
- It’s not cordless
- It gets scratched because the touching aluminum surface is too soft.
B. Best Thickness Planer Reviews
As the name suggests, these are only designed to shave off a few inches at once to level the timber for proper depth. They are usually little and portable but require a full space to operate. We have tested 5 of this type (WEN 6550, DEWALT DW734, Triton TPT125, DEWALT DW735X and POWERTEC PL1251) and selected 2 of them.
Best For – DIY fans and folks wishing to preserve money by purchasing natural wood in bulk.
Pros – Low maintenance, cheap and simple to practice.
Cons – Not always accurate and tend to handle at most 4 inches to 6-inch dark boards.
#1. Dewalt dw735X – Our 1st Choice
DEWALT DW735X two speed depth is one of the best in use today. Its 15 amp motor boasts a 20,000 RPM and a 10,000 RPM cutter head speed. You can handle more massive wood and materials efficiently. The three knife cutter is built for accuracy with 96 or 179 CPUs and these are more than knives. It is mighty and is capable of handling any wood that you can feed it whether it is walnut, oak, or any exotic timber. Its portable size makes it easy to transport, and it has a two-speed gearbox which will allow you to modify the feed speed for better cuts per inch. All in all, the Dewalt DW735X looks and feels like a dependable and efficient planing machine. Strong from the top, smooth in its finish.
- Precision Cutting
- Rugged design and sleek finish
- Wide base and dependable performance
- It can cut Wider Materials Easily.
- Easy to set up and easy to use.
- The two thickness gauges are easy to read.
- A built-in chip blower helps push chips out from the unit to the dust collection pipe.
- You can quickly change the blades from the cutter head.
- The lock mechanism held the board flush next to the base of the product and reduced the risk of snipe.
- With its 15 Amp motor, you can super optimize your cuts.
- The multi-speed gearbox allows you to adjust your feed speed to assure that it cuts perfectly.
- The cast aluminum base increased its durability.
- With heavy usage, the blades tend to wear out quickly, and they are a bit pricey to replace.
- The life span of the blades is not satisfied with me. I bought a set of solid carbide knives and then I am using it flawlessly.
#2. Wen 6552T
The WEN 6552T model helps to plan efficiently. You can handle the most robust projects with this thickness. The first notable feature that grabs your concentration is the excellent design. This WEN is furnished with two useful folding boards. The strong 15-amp motor gives over 25,500 cuts per minute. The user will get information about the materials being removed by using the planing gauge on the board. It has a convenient depth changing knob modifies each pass to get off everywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch. The central table is made of granite and it is recognized for its outstanding power and is almost undesirable to damage. Portability is still another significant benefit it has to appear. It becomes completely portable, comfortable and compact to migrate anywhere.
- A tri-roller feeding system helps to minimize snipe.
- The three dual-edged blades help elongate their life cycle and ensure sharp cuts. It can even cut the hardest of woods.
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from the workpiece.
- The users will get to know about the cutting depth of their current settings from onboard material removal gauge.
- With the rubber-grip adjustment handle, you can easily adjust the height.
- The foldable infeed and outfeed tables can be adjusted to get the perfect angle.
- It provides a fan-assisted dust port adapter to minimize cleanup attach a dust extraction device.
- To pass work back, it has a return roller.
- Its carrying handle will help you to move it anywhere.
- Its mounting holes make it more stable.
- The infeed table folds up for easy storage.
- Good packaging to keep safe while delivering
- Easy setup and installation
- No need to adjust cutter head
- It gives a nice edge as I want
- Wood removal is outstanding and quick
- The blades are reversible and easily changeable
- Durable and super quality at this price
- You can even cut hardwood without any obstacles
- I have not found any problem with this product.
C. Best Jointer-Planer Reviews
A blend of Jointer and it let you do two things at a time or multitask. Today such devices cost less than buying the two independently and hence are a good cost-saving measure for practitioners and small workshops.
Best For – Medium sized plants, who need a jointer for big projects but don’t have a decent size either.
Pros – Loads of power, the capability to do two tasks at once and reliable.
Cons – Usually big and cumbersome, expensive, not useful for an ordinary DIY enthusiast.
#1. Powermatic 1610086K – Our 1st Choice
The Powermatic 1610086K is a reliable and dependable product that is driven by very powerful 2 HP motors. It retrofits four-sided 7000 rpm helical cutter heads. Those knives ensure a very smooth operation efficiently regardless of material density. While adjusting, the infeed can easily be changed. The nearby fence prevents scratching the table. It has a maximum cutting depth of half an inch. It provides adequate support for long pieces. The dust collection mechanism functions exceptionally well and leaving virtually no debris. This is a machine familiar with carpenters. It is useful in building cabinets and other woodworks. While this seems large and space consuming, any DIYer who is looking at a serious piece of the product will find it quite helpful although a little too costly.
- This giant is made of cast-iron and that’s why there is no doubt about its durability.
- You will get a Powerfull 2 HP heavy-duty motor to complete your tasks.
- You can access from the front to control levers and buttons.
- It provides longer and wider beds to keep the woods.
- It has a magnetic push block.
- Easy infeed adjustment helps to fine-tuning of cut depth.
- It has anti-scratch fence adjustment hand wheel.
- The dust collection system is fantastic.
- It gets smoother, superior finish and quieter cutting because of the Helical cutter head with four-sided inserts.
- For operator convenience, it has a high mount switch.
- It has a worm gear system which is handwheel operated. It helps for smooth fence tilting.
- It has excellent technology to protect the table surface and it is called Non-mar fence insert.
- The installation is very easy. Even a newbie can install it.
- Not yet found any problem but this is expensive and not meant for passionate woodworkers, it is solely for professionals.
#2. PORTER-CABLE PC160JT
If you want to buy a low priced better quality product, then you should consider the Porter Cable PC160JT. It has 5-speed settings and you can change the cutter head speed from 6,000 to 11,000 rpm Speed. You can easily adjust the two knife cutter head. The extra large table gives ample work support and surfacing stock up to a full 6″ wide. The center-mounted fence provides the needed support throughout the cut for perfect edge jointing.
- Easy to use.
- You can easily adjust or replace elements whenever needed.
- The durability of this product is perfect.
- The speed control feature is awesome to control the speed.
- Setting the fence up for this product is easy for me.
- You can quickly move it anywhere because it’s a super light portable device.
- You have variable speed options.
- If you give much pressure the fence may move from its place and sometimes squaring the fence is difficult. So be careful while using.
D. Best Portable Planer Reviews
These are portable, but you can not set it on automatic, push a log or wood plank and except a uniform thickness on the other side. It is a miniature version of stationary that can be carried around, put on any flat outside and used to plane wood.
Best For – Tiny workshops, enthusiasts and home keepers who love DIY home improvements.
Pros – Inexpensive, reliable, loads of models and easy to use.
Cons – Accuracy is a bit flashy at best, can’t be used for precision woodworking or high-quality finishing.
#1. Cutech 40200H-CT – Our 1st Choice
If you are a professional woodworker, then this one is perfect for you. It has a straightforward and compact design which operates efficiently and quietly and gives you the ability to change the blade quickly and easily. With its four heavy-duty guideposts and two heavy-duty screw posts design, internal gears for height adjustment, cutter head snipe lock, depth Repeat Cut with large tables. The spiral style cutter head and a dust chute are redesigned. It creates a better chip removal and even lessens the chance for tear out. You can easily rotate the cutter tips quickly with minimal downtime. This will be helpful to keep your project moving forward and on time. It has all the features as a pro would need. This is the perfect one for those of you who specialize in termination woodworking which involves jobs that deal with staircases, cabinets, closets, and furniture.
- Its spinning handle helps to depth adjustment.
- Without hesitation, I can say its a super durable product.
- Its dust collection system is perfect.
- The accuracy and finishing are outstanding.
- It’s not noisy.
- The delivery was too fast.
- No snipe at all
- Simple to use and dependable for years.
- Not yet found
#2. Delta 22-590
Delta Power Tools 22-590 exists up to all your expectations about its operation, features, stability, portability, maintenance as well as pricing. This model weighs about 82 pounds and uses a superb three-knife cutting system to impart a highly smooth finish for all kinds of wooden boards, be it for your cabinets, closets, furniture or garage. User-friendly and portable, it gives a very convenient blade-change system and comes with a patented lock that restricts the cutter-head from causing snips to a significant degree. For those who need to make multiple wood cuttings of identical shape and size, the adjustable width control allows you to go ahead with great ease. With readily available replacement blades and sturdy construction, this is indeed a ‘must-have’ low-maintenance, high-output and flexible.
- The material removal gauge helps to utilize the entire width of the cutter head.
- While using you can easily control it.
- The measurements on the adjuster are easy to read.
- Setup is quite easy.
- The infeed and outfeed tables adjusted correctly.
- The quick set repeat feature makes it easy to return to the previous settings.
- You can control the snipe very well by using the control mechanism.
- Dust collection is excellent.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Three Knife-Cutting Mechanism with very excellent blade life and extra-smooth finish.
- Good warranty time.
- Sound louder
E. Best Benchtop Planer Reviews
Similar to portable benchtop but these are somewhat larger and need a flat surface to operate. They are powerful, control to produce deeper cuts and hence handle greater thickness and use induction motors with high power output. Benchtops are competent in handling hardwood too and are moderately portable because of the weight and size.
Best For – Hardwoods, heavy-duty use, and expert woodworking shops.
Pros – Excellent command over thickness, high power, and superb reliability.
Cons – Won’t be easy to move throughout, needs maintenance and much power.
#1. WEN 6550T – Our 1st Choice
The WEN 6550T is a convenient tool for every workshop that wants to improve old ragged boards and repurpose them until they have an extraordinarily smooth surface. This machine is quickly able to plane boards up to 6 inches thick. It works on a 15 Amp motor with a sarcastic speed of 18,000 cuts per minute.
- A helpful tool to bring on job sites where you require wood or boards to be completed efficiently.
- The machine is created to be portable which will enable you to transport it with minimal hassle.
- Repurposing old wood and boards is a cost-effective way to keep your costs to a minimum. This will exceedingly help in decreasing your budget for your projects.
- A great-performing machine that is affordable, according to reviewers.
- According to some people who studied this product, they were not satisfied with the stability. Some have reported feeling blades chipping as well as other parts getting damaged easily.
#2. Dewalt dw734
The DEWALT DW734 is a little-sized benchtop thickness planer. Its weight is 80 pounds. I believe that it is perfect for any large or small sized workshop. This is a highly capable machine because of its 15amp electric motor power. It allows up to 20000 rpm while managing large and thick cut hardwoods. It was exciting to handle this device because of its impeccability.
- Powerful Motor
- Strong and durable blades
- Dust Management
- Easy to use
- It works well on smooth boards
At a glance our top picks
- WEN 6534
- Bosch pl2632k
- Dewalt dw735X
- Wen 6552T
- Powermatic 1610086K
- PORTER-CABLE PC160JT
- Cutech 40200H-CT
- Delta 22-590
- WEN 6550T
- Dewalt dw734
Our Test will help you to choose your best planer for woodworking.
What is to be considered when buying an electric planer?
Of course, professionals have different demands on electrical tools for woodworking as a hobby as craftsmen and do-it-yourself disciples. Some make their purchase dependent on the weight, for the others, the scope is necessary when they want to buy. To cut wood, you can use Sliding Compound Miter Saw. In this table, we have listed the most important criteria for selecting the best electric machine for your requirements:
Of course, the weight is crucial when you want to use the machine for longer planing. Not all electric planes can be held with one hand in the long term. The manufacturer brand Bosch, by the way, the lightest in their category and weigh about 2.5 kilograms. Heavy products are more suitable for the workbench; light hand planes can also be used on mobile and firmly installed workpieces.
2. Motor power
Most of the hand planes from our test have high performance with constant electronics, to keep the knife rotation and the speed uniformly even under heavy load. The higher the speed, the faster the material can be planed. The power that an electric machine has, also reveals its recording power (i.e., the energy consumption), which in most cases lies between 600 and 1000 watts.
To ensure that you and your power tools do not become dull too quickly, you should pay attention to whether and how the blades can be replaced. Most blades cannot be reground, or require a particular brand-specific grinding machine.
4. Shallow depth
For most manufacturers, they have a clearance of 0 to 3 mm. However, the maximum clearance should be set only rarely, since it is primarily suitable for planing edges, less for surfaces. Even with the best electric bobbin, the motor can become flaccid, or the material can be damaged if the clearance is too high. In any case, it is best to set a small planing depth and plan some work steps.
5. Chip extraction
Where chips are planted, chips fall. To ensure that the cut shavings do not damage the entire work area or garden, you should pay attention to whether a vacuum cleaner can be connected to the electric grinder. In most handhelds, even a two-way connection is available, which is especially handy depending on which hand you want to hold your product. Alternatively, you can also attach a vacuum bag to the vacuum cleaner port, which is usually supplied. However, the bags are small and thus quickly full. Although most models from our hand-held test have a dust bag, a vacuum cleaner is, in any case, the more comfortable solution.
The sole of electric furniture usually consists of die-cast aluminum. It has two parts: a fixed gear and the front part which can be adjusted with the spandex adjustment. For chamfering edges, most machines have a V-groove in the front planing sole, which is used to place the planer on edge. The width of the chamber can be changed by adjusting the cutting depth. Some machines have three different depths. The user can usually save the adjustment.
To protect the sensitive knives, as well as the subsoil on which the product is to be parked. A wave cover or a parking shoe is customary. The former swivels resiliently over the blade when this is not in use. The cover prevents damage and reduces the risk of injury. The parking lot solution is cheaper. The parking shoe lifts the workbench slightly when it is parked so that the knives do not touch the ground.
8. Handle and switch
It must have a convenient handle, which is at an angle so that you can move it better. An ergonomic soft grip pad reduces vibrations on some models and provides greater grip. The adjustment knob for the cutting depth is usually used as a second-hand grip, with which the user ensures a uniform pressure. The power switch is integrated into the handle and is equipped with a switch-on lock, which makes problems with left-handers in many models.
At the time of working, one does not move around adjustable stops. However, in many cases, they are not included as standard. With manufacturers, they do not even exist in the accessory program. You can safely forget such electric planes. The parallel stop should, in any case, be part of the essential equipment. It is necessary, for example, if edges are to be cut to size at a right angle. Also for folding, it is required and additionally a folding depth stop with which the height/depth of the fold is limited. An adjustable angle stop allows precise planing of miter and bevel cuts. Check the angle setting and make sure that the angle stop is precisely aligned.
I must admit that I am a real site when I use my electric plane, that is why I always opted for models that are equipped with at least a dust bag. Also, I have recently taken aback and surprised by some that made electric plane models offers work support to use the electric plane on fixed support. This is, of course, absorbing since you will be able to enjoy the support that is adapted to the model of electric planes to buy it, which can significantly facilitate the use. The presence of an accessory carrying case proves to be an accessory that can be absorbed to improve the life of your device.
As for the accessories that can be found with it, I consider that there are elements that are indispensable to carry out operations on the wood under the best possible conditions. Here they are:
• The presence of a bag to recover dust and chips (size, quality, ease of installation …)
• The presence of a nozzle to connect a shop vacuum cleaner (significant time saving for post-work cleaning)
• Size of the supply wire (must be more than 2m for optimal maneuverability)
• Storage case
• The presence of a parallel guide and a depth guide (makes it possible to work with more precision, in particular for raising an edge).
• Key to disassemble blades (standard, to buy separately?)
11. The length of the power cable
The length of the power cable is one of the criteria that we think less and which nevertheless once one has the electric plane in hand proves fundamental. Indeed, there is nothing more questioning than two ways to see regular breaks because the electric wire of your electric plane is not suitable is too short.
12. The price issue
The problem of the price to spend to buy will depend on your budget. Overall, I advise against the use of an electric plane with a price lower than $60, because often these devices do not last after a few months of use. Also, this depends on the propensity with which you will use your own. At the most, you will make a material that tends towards professional use. For this category of persons, a device about $80 to $150 seems reasonable.
13. Material and surface of irons
The problem of irons, also called sole, is significant insofar as they will have to be adapted to the size of the pieces of wood that you will want to work. It is necessary to know that the soles are fixed to a drum which will, therefore, be operated by the electric motor and which can easily reach the 16,000 rpm, which guarantees the fast and efficient execution of the product in its activities of Planing. Most electric planes will have a shoe that is 82 mm wide, meaning that you will not be able to plan pieces that will be larger than that size. However, this leaves a wide choice of planing possible, since for example rafters having a surface of 60 by 80 mm or battens measure 20 to 40 mm. It is important to be aware of the fact that planing cannot be realized when a pass, if the second pass, if you ever used the electric plane on a piece of wood is greater than 82 mm in width, will generate a Trace on the part to plan in second. The length of the irons or the width of the sole – about the pieces of wood you want to design. I recommend that you choose TCT or cast aluminum metals, as is the case with the Black & Decker, for example, which has produced a very high-performance resistance. They will allow you to work any wood, whether softwood or hardwood, if they are reversible, then it can be nice, as it will be enough to return them to have to do Its disposition again.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What accessories are available for electric planers?
In most cases, stops are not part of the electrical equipment, but they are often required. With a parallel stop, edges can be shaved cleanly at right angles. Other angle stops can also be purchased. For necessary accessories, such as a side stop, you have to reach into the pocket again. This connects only to a limited extent for home-made DIY enthusiasts. For example, if you have a parallel stop for a milling machine of the same brand. Many of the machines can be used up to a fording depth of 10 mm for folding.
2. What are the safety instructions?
At the time of working, you should always wear protective goggles as flying chips could damage your eyes. It is also desirable to wear a dust mask and hearing protection. When you are ready to finish grinding, be sure to place the machine down when the blades do not turn. Most of the appliances in our comparison have a parking shoe, which allows you to park it safely, but the electric bobbin can quickly become self-sufficient if you are not careful after working.
3. Can any vacuum cleaner be connected to the planer?
High-quality models are delivered with their vacuum cleaner for the wood shavings. If this is not the case, you can also optionally connect a commercial vacuum cleaner to the electric grinder. Some models even have a suction device, which can be set differently. Especially when wet wood shavings clog the pipes, this can be very helpful. A perfect vacuum cleaner for the living area is by the way not suitable for use with it.
4. Can spare blades be easily bought up and where can they be found? Are they universally applicable for all models, or does each manufacturer or model have its format?
As a rule, replacement blades can be easily ordered or purchased. The construction market and the specialist dealers are good points of contact to buy blades. Of course, you can also order the desired spare blades mostly merely on the Internet. In principle, most extra blades can also be attached universally to devices from various manufacturers.
5. How does an electric planer work?
In principle, it is more comparable to a milling machine than with a conventional one. At high speed and high speed, the blades cut little chips from the wood surface very evenly. For this reason, the machines are best suited for surfaces which do not show any irregularities or even unevenness before the planing process. Also with the adjustable planing width, which is generally at a little more than 80 mm, should not be exaggerated. A great planing width combined with a considerable cutting depth can quickly overwhelm the power tool.