In our highly technological world, it happens more and more often: You are confronted with terms that you have no idea about. Nevertheless, we naturally use the underlying development. This is also the case with Ethernet cable, a protocol that enables data exchange in wired networks. In most offices, the cables in question are laid by the meter. But even for home users who have had unsatisfactory experiences with the WLAN, buying an ethernet cable can bring the fun back to surfing. In our network cable comparison, we show you which categories of these cables are on the market and what to look out for if you are looking for the best ethernet cable for your needs.
which is the best ethernet cable?
- Jadaol Cat 7
- AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat-6
- Tera Grand CAT7
- VANDESAIL CAT7
- Cable Matters 160021 Cat6
- Ultra Clarity Cables CAT 6
- YOREPEK Cat 6
- Rankie Cat6
- KabelDirekt TOP Series Cat6
Our test selected 10 best ethernet cable on the basis of different uses. We tested 82 ethernet cables and selected these top 10 cables.
Table of Contents
- Best Ethernet Cable Reviews
- 1. Jadaol Cat 7 Ethernet Cable Review
- 2. Mediabridge Ethernet Cable Review
- 3. AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Cable Review
- 4. Tera Grand – CAT7 10 Gigabit Ethernet Cable Review
- 5. VANDESAIL CAT7 RJ45 Ethernet Cable Review
- 6. Cable Matters 160021 Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Cable Review
- 7. Ultra Clarity Cables CAT 6 Ethernet Cable Review
- 8. YOREPEK Cat 6 Ethernet Cable Review
- 9. Rankie Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Cable Review
- 10. KabelDirekt TOP Series Cat6 Gigabit Ethernet Cable Review
- Ethernet Cable Buying Guide
Best Ethernet Cable Reviews
1. Jadaol Cat 7 Ethernet Cable Review
- CAT7 SSTP SHIEDLDED ETHERNET CABLE standard provides performance of up to 600 MHz and could be used for 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet), 1000BASE-T/1000BASE-TX (Gigabit Ethernet) and 10GBASE-T(10-Gigabit Ethernet) at high speeds
- Cat7 cable could be Compatible with Cat5, Cat5e cat6 and cat6A Ethernet cables
- High quality shielded RJ45 connectors-50 micron Gold Plated pins in each shielded
- Perfect for networking switch, routers, ADSL, adapters, hubs, modems, PS3, PS4, x-box, Patch panels and other high performance networking applications
- The unique flat cable shape allows for a cleaner and safer installation. You can easily and seamlessly make the cable run along walls, follow edges&corners or even
2. Mediabridge Ethernet Cable Review
- CAT6 / CAT5e: Supports both Cat6 and Cat5e applications. The RJ45 connector used for this cable fits perfectly in both Cat6 and Cat5e ports.
- CAPABILITY: Mediabridge Cat 6 cables can support up to 10 Gigabits per second (10 times the bandwidth of Cat5e cables). Meets or exceeds Category 6 performance in compliance with the TIA/EIA 568B.2 standard. Backwards compatible with any existing Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet.
- CERTIFIED: This Mediabridge Cat6 Ethernet cable with CM Grade PVC Jacket is UL Listed, complies with TIA/EIA 568B.2 and adheres to ISO/IEC 11801. APPLICATIONS: High bandwidth of up to 550 MHz guarantees high-speed data transfer for server applications, cloud computing, video surveillance and online high definition video streaming.
- CONSTRUCTION: 24AWG Stranded conductors. Each of the 4 twisted pairs are separated by PE cross insulation to prevent crosstalk. 8P8C RJ45 connector with gold-plated contacts. CM grade PVC jacket with 5.8mm outer diameter.
- FREE VELCRO STRAP: Includes adjustable & reusable Velcro cable strap for easy organization & storage.
3. AmazonBasics RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Cable Review
- Cat-6 Ethernet patch cable for wired home and office networks
- Connects computers to network components in a wired LAN
- RJ45 connectors ensure universal connectivity; 250 MHz bandwidth
- Transmits data at speeds up to 1,000 Mbps (or to 1 Gigabit per second)
- Measures 14 feet (4.26 meters); AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty
4. Tera Grand – CAT7 10 Gigabit Ethernet Cable Review
- ULTRA FLAT - CAT-7 10 Gigabit Ultra Flat Ethernet cable, slim and flexible, easy to fit into the tightest spaces
- 10 GBPS DATA SPEED - Compliant with ANSI/TIA/EIA 568-B, 2-1, Up to 10 Gbps Speed and Meets all Proposed CAT-7 Requirements; Supports: 10GBASE-T; 1000 BASE-T; 100 BASE-T; 10 BASE-T
- PROTECTION FROM INTERFERENCE - Shielded Twisted Pair and RJ45 Connectors to Protect Against EMI/RFI Interference
- HIGH QUALITY SHIELDED RJ45 CONNECTORS - 50 Micron Gold plated Contact Pins in each Shielded RJ45 Connector
- GREAT NETWORKING COMPATIBILITY - Backward Compatible with Cat-5e / Cat-6 / Cat-6a Ethernet Cables
5. VANDESAIL CAT7 RJ45 Ethernet Cable Review
- ★ CAT 7 ETHERNET CABLE - This cat 7 network cables use full cover RJ45 connectors on both ends which protects the copper cable core from damage with strong wear resistant.
- ★ Oxygen-free Copper - Our internet cable with oxygen-free Copper, have Iower resistance and higher transfer speed than regular copper wire.
- ★ ALUMINUM FOIL SHIELDED - Compared to the Cat 6 network ethernet cords, the additional shielding and improved quality in twisting of the wires provides better protection from crosstalk, noise, and interference that can upgrade the signal quality
- ★ STANDARD RJ45 LAN CABLE - Protect against EMI/RFI interference, accurate data transfer and reliability
- ★ RANGE OF APPLICATION - Perfect For Network Adapters, Hubs, Routers, Modems, PS3, PS4, X-box, patch panels and other high performance networking applications
6. Cable Matters 160021 Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Cable Review
- High Performance Internet cable is Cat6 rated; The Ethernet cord with 24 AWG copper wire provides universal connectivity for LAN network components such as PCs, computer servers, printers, routers, switch boxes, network media players, NAS, VoIP phones, PoE devices, and more; Comes with 5-color combo: Black, Blue, Green, Red, and White, easy for cable management and cable identification
- Cat6 performance at a Cat5e price but with higher bandwidth; Future-proof your network for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (backwards compatible with any existing Cat 5 cable network); Meets or exceeds Category 6 performance in compliance with the TIA/EIA 568-C.2 standard
- A Category 6 Ethernet patch cable is also referred to as a Cat6 network cable, Cat6 cable, Cat6 Ethernet cable, or Cat 6 data/LAN cable. A wired Cat 6 data cable is more reliable and secure than a wireless network or Cat5 cable network for your internet connections
- The connectors with gold-plated contacts, molded strain-relief boots, and snagless molds resist corrosion, provide durability, and ensure a secure connection; Copper Ethernet cables enhance cable performance and comply with specifications for communications cables
- Flexible and durable RJ45 cable with high bandwidth of up to 550 MHz guarantees high-speed data transfer for server applications, cloud computing, video surveillance, and online high-definition video streaming
7. Ultra Clarity Cables CAT 6 Ethernet Cable Review
- QUALITY CONTROL - Each Cat 6 internet cable 6 ft goes through rigorous testing to ensure a secure wired internet connection with exceptional speed and reliability.
- PERFORMANCE - High performance Cat6 ethernet patch cables are designed with extremely well-matched components for outstanding uniform impedance and very low return loss, providing lower crosstalk, and a higher signal-to-noise ratio. They support frequencies of up to 500 MHz and are suitable for high-speed 10GBASE-T internet connection for LAN network applications such as PCs, servers, printers, routers, switch boxes, and more, while remaining fully backward compatible with your existing network.
- CERTIFICATION - Cat6 Ethernet cable with CM grade PVC jacket complies with TIA/EIA 568-C.2, is ETL verified and RoHS compliant.
- CONFIGURATION - The 6 feet cat 6 ethernet patch cable features 8 solid copper conductors 24 AWG. Each of the 4 unshielded twisted pairs (UTP) are separated by a PE cross insulation to isolates pairs and prevent crosstalk and covered by a 5.8mm PVC jacket with RJ45 connectors and gold-plated contacts. The molded strain relief boots help avoid snags that will damage your cables. They are molded for flexibility and resist common wear and tear.
- WARRANTY – Ultra Clarity Cables are backed by a limited 1-year warranty should any issue arise. For questions or concerns please contact our friendly, USA-based customer support team.
8. YOREPEK Cat 6 Ethernet Cable Review
- Universal Networking Compatibity: High performance Cat6 ethernet cable, 50 feet, provides universal connectivity for LAN network components, supports all devices with RJ45 Jacks, For PCs, computer cable servers, switch boxes, ADSL, printers, routers, network media players, hubs, television set with network interface, Modems, laptop, tv, USB LAN cable adapter, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Gaming, NAS, keystone jack, networking equipment, inline coupler
- Faster Speed ＆ No Interference: 4 UTP(Unshielded Twisted Pair) patch LAN cable th RJ45 connectors are made of copper wires, provides performance of up to 250 MHz, protects 50 feet ethernet cable from crosstalk, noise and interference. With 8 pure copper contact pins on each end, cat6 long ethernet cable for PS4 is suitable for 10Base-T, 100BASE-TX(Fast Ethernet), 1000Base-T/1000base-tx(gigabit ethernet)and 10gbase-t(10-gigabit Ethernet)
- Flat Design & 20 Free Clips: Cat6 50 feet internet wire with Ultra-thin technology avoids tangled cords and saves space. With 20 FREE cable clips, you can easily and seamlessly make the cable run along walls, follow edges or corners. Super flexible when run under the carpet or bent in the plane of its thin cross-section such as doors, drawers, rotating arms etc, cleaner and safer.
- Durability & Stability: Durable PVC jacket protects inner cooper core. No need to worry about the mess issue of 50ft cat 6 ethernet cable when surfing the net, watching TV, stream video, listening to the music and transmissing data at greater speed of 50 feet lan cable for PS4. Cat6 flat ethernet cable is suitable for Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and 10-Gigabit Ethernet.
- Low-smoke Zero Halogen: 50 feet flat cat6 ethernet cable is covered with soft PVC material outside, ensures environmental protection and durability. Cat6 network cable is certified as low smoke, low toxicity, low corrosion and high flame retardant.
9. Rankie Cat6 Snagless Ethernet Cable Review
- 5-Pack 5FT 5-Color Combo. Cat-6 Ethernet patch cable for wired home and office networks
- RJ45 connectors ensure universal connectivity; high bandwidth upto 250 MHz guarantees high-speed data transfer
- Cat6 performance at a Cat5e price but with higher bandwidth; Future-proof your network for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (backwards compatible with any existing Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet); Meets or exceeds Category 6 performance in compliance with the TIA/EIA 568-C.2 standard
- High Performance Cat6, 26AWG, RJ45 Ethernet Patch Cable provides universal connectivity for LAN network components such as PCs, computer servers, printers, routers, switch boxes, network media players, NAS, VoIP phones, PoE devices, and more
- Transmits data at speeds up to 1,000 Mbps (or to 1 Gigabit per second)
10. KabelDirekt TOP Series Cat6 Gigabit Ethernet Cable Review
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Ideal for Gigabit Networks and Fiber Connections, for connecting your computer, game console, modem, router, switch, network outlets and patch panel
- NO UNWANTED DATA LOSS OR DISCONNECTS: Thanks to twisted pair the Cable is insensitive to interferences. The Snagless RJ45 connectors protect your locking tabs from breaking off.
- EASY TO INSTALL: With no stiff shielding material inside, your KabelDirekt ethernet cable is thin and flexible, making it easy for you to install
- EXPERIENCE THE FULL SPEED OF YOUR INTERNET: Transfers common US Internet Speed of 1 Gigabit per second & is suitable for switches, routers, modems with RJ45 input
- 36 MONTHS MANUFACTURER WARRANTY
Ethernet Cable Buying Guide
1. What is an Ethernet cable?
The Ethernet protocol was developed in the 1970s to enable data transfer between different devices. In the process, the data is divided into specific packets, which can then be exchanged between the participants in the relevant network. So it can come again and again to transmission failures (so-called packet loss), but which are collected by the status of the sent data is reported, i.e., if a data packet is lost, this is detected in the network and the corresponding packet is sent again,
Network cables are used very often in the digital infrastructure: these cables are standard, especially in larger networks, such as at work or in server rooms. However, the purchase of a network cable can also be helpful for home use: Various radio frequencies (e.g., toy car, Bluetooth box) can lead to WLAN interference. Since these disturbances in various usage contexts (e.g., in the case of online gaming or video streaming) can become real fun brakes, network cables offer themselves as an alternative. Many multimedia and home entertainment devices have an Ethernet jack, which can also be used to make wired network connections.
The cables themselves have eight wires that run inside and are arranged in a color scheme (so in former times crossover cables could be seen). Most manufacturers use a twisted pair design, where two wires are always twisted together. This neutralizes the electromagnetic fields generated during the data flow because they cancel each other out. This design also allows a relatively trouble-free working without shielding (UTP cable: Unscreened Twisted Pair).
2. Crossover, Patch, Laying Cable – These types of network cables exist
2.1. patch cable
This type of cable is the most commonly used in the home field. Patch stands for “intermediate piece” and forms the connection between the network source and the customer, i.e., in many home networks between computer and router. These cables are usually pre-assembled, so they already have connections on both sides and can be used immediately. A particular form of the patch cable is flat cable: A flat LAN cable can be carried out under doors or carpets.
2.2. installation cable
Installation cables are also called laying cables. This is usually purchased as network cable by the meter and relocated from the roll. This variant is particularly suitable if a network architecture, e.g. in a single-family home, is to be created. Thus, the installation cables can also be integrated into existing cable ducts and allow the creation of a cable network without additional tripping hazards.
2.3. Crossover cable
A meanwhile extreme form of the cable. In this case, the contacts were swapped in one of the connections, so that direct communication between two devices is possible – so, for example, two switches or two computers were joined together. With newer standards being automatically recognized by the network adapters, whether it is an incoming or an outgoing signal, the crossed construction has become obsolete.
Note: Crossover cables can still be used now, although the crossed construction has lost their meaning.
3. Purchasing advice for network cables: You must pay attention to this
The following criteria should be read carefully before purchasing a new network cable.
3.1. cable type
In this category you have to make a decision: Do you want a cable that is directly suitable for the connection from the console to the router (then take an Ethernet patch cable ) or you want to build a network infrastructure in your house (then dial Installation cable )?
Afterward, you have to decide on the length. If you choose one of the models from our network cable comparison in too short a version, you can be spoiled for the whim: either the cable will not reach the corresponding connections or you will pull the cable too long and there will be a tension in the cable. Which can lead to material fatigue?
3.2. Category and connections
In the following table we give an overview of the common cable categories and the complementary connections:
|category||operating frequency||Max. data rate||shielding||usual connection|
|CAT3||16 MHz||100 Mbps||none (UTP)||RJ45|
|CAT5 / 5e||100 MHz||1,000 Mbps||shielded or unshielded||RJ45|
|CAT6 / 6a / 6e||250 MHz / 500 MHz||10,000 Mbits / s||shielded or unshielded||RJ45|
|CAT 7 / 7A||600 MHz / 1,000 MHz||10,000 Mbits / s||double shielded (S / FTP)||GG45 / TERA|
|Note : Most Cat 5 and Cat 6 network cables are available both shielded and unshielded.|
3.3. Facilities for handling
Especially with the patch cables, there are smaller components that should protect the cable against mechanical wear even after prolonged use. These are in particular the latching nose protection and the kink protection.
The latch protection is either a rubber cap performed or but as side elevations of the plug. This device is to prevent too much pressure from the bottom of the latch can be exercised so that it breaks off.
The bend protection is located at the transition between the network cable and connector and is usually designed as a semi-rigid cylindrical tissue. This prevents cable breakage at this critical juncture.
4. Be careful with cables with CAT7 label
It is becoming increasingly common for pre-assembled cables to be offered on the market.
- have a CAT7 certification and
- have RJ45 connectors.
You should be cautious about such offers because the RJ45 connector cannot retrieve the benefits of a CAT7 cable over a CAT6 network cable. The reason for this is the too close contact arrangement. As a result, the operating frequencies for the 10 Gigabit Ethernet cannot be met. For CAT7 Ethernet, new connectors have been developed that listen to the name GG45 (similar cross-section as RJ45, but are also on the top contacts) and TERA. However, home appliances are not yet widely used, so you can save money on a CAT7 cable and confidently choose the CAT6 version. For future-proof infrastructure, you can use the CAT7 installation cable.
5. Questions and answers about Ethernet cables
5.1. How long can an ethernet cable be?
Because the Ethernet protocol is intended for spatially-proximate communication setups, the length of the cables cannot be unlimited. Added to this are the technical limitations due to cable damping. For network cables, however, these restrictions are significant only from a length of 100 meters, with a network cable of 10 meters no deterioration occurs. Therefore, in most cases, you can use a cable of your preferred length without any problems and loss of speed: a LAN cable of 20 m in height is no problem.
By the way: the calculations of the velocities of network systems always assume a cable length of 100 meters.
5.2. How do I recognize an Ethernet cable?
Still, this question is quite easy to answer: You can recognize an Ethernet cable on the RJ45 connector, which is very characteristic: Its cross-section is rectangular. At the bottom, there are eight grooves in which the contacts sit. Mostly the connection is transparent so that the color of the cables leading to the contacts is visible. At the top of a locking lug is attached, which fixes the cable after connection in the socket. On some network plugs, the catch nose is protected from breaking off with a raised or a rubber stud. Also, with high-quality pre-assembled cables, kink protection at the connection point between the head and wire attached, which should prevent cable break at this frequently mechanically full point.
5.3. What should I watch out for with the Ethernet cable?
Particular attention should be paid to the quality of the cable. Do not fall for low-priced deals that sell you a Cat3 cable! These are no longer sufficient for the current network standards. To be prepared for Gigabit Internet, you should use at least a Category 5 cable.
5.4. How important is a catch protection?
If you do not plan to plug in and unplug your network cable winners frequently, you may not need a click latch. These devices prove to be particularly useful when the fasteners are exposed to normal loads. So if you plan to stop moving your cable after connecting it, you can do without the catch protection.
5.5. What does “crimp network cable” mean?
This designation is used when you want to make your patch cords from the network cable goods or extend your network cable. To do this, the cores of the cable must be placed correctly in the plugs (a ferrule tong helps with this ). If you have little experience with electrical engineering, you should prefer to use the prefabricated cable. If you still want to try your luck, you can watch this video: