The ninth month of life: Just before running and speaking – While a few babies have already spoken their first word and dared to take their first steps on mom’s or dad’s hand, many parents are eagerly awaiting these events.
Even more security for little explorers
One or the other experience with a little crawling kid shows many parents how many security holes you may not have thought in the household. Living with a small person who just wants to learn how to walk and pull up everywhere carries additional dangers.
For example, you should first leave the long tablecloths in the closet and also check the curtains for tensile strength. At least now the protection of stairs is important. In addition to the safety bars, it is also useful to carry out the following baby and child safety devices in the household:
- Pinch protection for doors to prevent pinching of the fingers
- Cabinet and drawer safety devices
- Outlet caps
- Edge protection and corner protection pads for sharp-edged pieces of furniture
- Plant pot lattice (so that the potting soil remains in the pot)
- Child safety devices for stove and oven
- Anti-tilt devices for furniture and TV
Baby walker instead of walking
You think about the purchase of a Gehfreis? A walker is a baby walker that babies can be placed in and move forward with by kicking (which is very similar to running). However, these walker devices are among other things by the Federal Association ” More safety for children registered association” as very dangerous. Many pediatricians also oppose the walk-free to run a promotion, as it has proven not conducive to the ability to walk. Even small obstacles, such as toys, door strips, and carpet edges can lead to serious falls.
Stair laps are often particularly difficult with a walker. In Germany, about 5,000 accidents happen per year. In Scandinavia, walking-free running devices are even banned because of their serious injury hazards.A better alternative is so-called baby walkers or walkers. They are strong enough to pull themselves up and safely explore the environment with mostly unsteady steps. Also, they can be used as a practical toy box or doll carriage.
Shift the shoe purchase to later
The thought of walking or running includes the idea for the first running shoes for many parents. But pediatricians and orthopedists advise against reaching the shoe shelf now. Learning to walk barefoot strengthens the muscles and tendons of the baby feet and helps to gain experience with different types of soil and bumps.
Do not be afraid of farewell pain
The more mobile and thus freer your baby becomes, the greater the small children often become afraid of being without dad or mom. The separation anxiety and the associated farewell pain is the result of a natural protective instinct. Among other things, this prevents babies from moving too far away from their closest caregivers and putting them at risk. Even though many moms are quite right to cry when a baby is crying for separation anxiety, you should know that separation anxiety is an important issue for your baby and you to master together.
Without tears, this can rarely be regulated. If a separation is not necessary, avoid it. Use as parents, your instincts to counter the separation fears of your child, for example, in the short-term care by grandparents or babysitter.If your baby has a favorite stuffed animal, it should be a comfort. Even the pacifier often helps to calm down quickly.
Play and talk intensively
Almost every day, in the ninth month of your life, you can watch the fascinating progress and try exciting new things. When dining together, there are always new flavors to discover. The first steps make for a lot of pride. Joint games, such as building turrets, are becoming ever more diverse.
Your baby now understands different things very well and can, for example, point to many things that you name in picture books. Also, the sound repertoire is so great that you may already suspect a word or two in the babble of your baby. Scientific research shows that babies learn and train language only when interacting with other people. Turning off radio or television does not promote the language.
For linguistic and motor promotion, you can play in the ninth month of life, among other things, the following games with your baby:
- Put your baby in a large cardboard box or laundry basket. This trains the spatial imagination. Make sure that it does not tip over.
- Hiding and searching games are still extremely popular and practice in addition to the motor skills and the language understanding.
- Baking cake together for the first time? Now is the time.
- Laundry Day: Wash your stomach, hands and other body parts with your baby. This trains the body perception and shows your little one how each part of the body is called.
- Fingermalstunde. Use special finger paints or colors made from organic food. When choosing colors, make sure that no chemical additives are used to make the color. Your baby’s skin is still very sensitive. Also, some color ends up in most babies in the mouth, because it seems to many fascinating how colorful colors taste like.
- The Krabbel-Zug-Game: Let your baby crawl through your legs again and again and thus train your crawling skills.
Useful for babies 9th month
From a weight of 9kg, a child seat ECE size I am necessary, in the 9th month, it is often a time for the change. These child seats are designed for babies who may be able to sit but still require great lateral support. An adjustable sitting and resting position allows the little ones to sleep comfortably while driving.
Caution should be taken as soon as the little rascals take their first steps – stairs, fireplace and other dangerous places should not be accessible to the baby. A safety gate helps to block access to danger zones, and a playpen keeps the little ones from taking their exploratory tours.
When children become mobile, it is also high time to make the apartment child-safe. Already from the crawling age a socket protection, as well as an edge and corner protection, is necessary. With age, other parental controls such as a cabinet and drawer safety and a hearth guard are needed to protect the little explorers from injury.
THE NINTH MONTH: ALL DEVELOPMENT AREAS AT A GLANCE
|Development of the senses|
|Exciting leisure and game ideas|
|Important dates for parents and baby|
TIP FROM MIDWIFE CHRISTINA ALTMANN
- You are not a “mother” if you do not want to take care of your child or avoid separations. On the contrary – children who signal that they do not tolerate separation and become accepted become safer and more confident in their confidence in you.