Your bedroom should be your sanctuary, a place for you to sleep, relax, and rejuvenate yourself to wake up feeling your best. If your bedroom isn’t your dream room, you could be sacrificing your happiness and well-being. Luckily, there are simple and creative ways you can revamp your bedroom to create a dreamy oasis. Check out our tips below—you’ll never want to leave your room again!
Table of Contents
1. Invest in a Quality Mattress
First and foremost, you’re going to want a quality mattress. A bedroom is called a bedroom for a reason—it’s a room for your bed. If you have an uncomfortable mattress and box spring that squeaks every time you turn or pokes into your back all night, you could be disrupting your sleep cycle. A disrupted sleep cycle will leave you feeling groggy, irritable, and tired the next day, and let’s face it; no one likes that feeling.
To ensure you’re getting your quality zzz’s, take time to find the perfect mattress. Because you spend a third of our lives sleeping, you’re going to need a mattress that’s comfortable for you. Here are the three types of mattresses that are worth considering:
- Memory foam mattresses match the shapes and contours of your body to reduce pressure points on the heaviest areas of your body, including your hips, shoulders, and back. They also have extremely low motion transfer, which is perfect for couples who share a bed or families with little ones sleeping beside them.
- Hybrid mattresses blend the best of both worlds: the comforting layers of memory foam and the traditional firmness of innerspring mattresses. With a hybrid mattress, you’ll enjoy the feel of a traditional mattress with the added benefit of memory foam that adds unmatched comfort.
- Adjustable mattresses do exactly what they say—adjust! For those with sleep apnea, acid reflux, heartburn, or restless leg syndrome, adjustable mattresses can raise and lower the head and foot of a mattress to keep you comfortable.
2. Don’t Skimp on Your Bedding
While you may have the most comfortable mattress in the world, poor bedding can take that away from you. You don’t want to lie awake all night from scratching sheets or comforters that leave you in a puddle of sweat. A matelasse bedspread is a great option if you’re looking for a new coverlet. The quilted and cushioned design of matelasse bedspreads will keep you comfy and cozy all night long.
If you’re a hot sleeper, you may want to consider bamboo bedding that keeps you cool at night. You also want to make sure you have the right pillows, too. There are a variety of pillows to choose from, such as memory foam pillows for added comfort or copper-infused pillows that keep you cool at night.
3. Paint Your Walls
With your bedding all set, it’s time to design your room. Painting your walls is an easy update you can do that is both timely and affordable. When picking paint colors, choose for calming tones such as blues and greens, as these will promote sleep. You also want to make sure your paint colors create a cohesive look. Do your best to match the colors in your comforter and pillows. If you have all-white bedding, your options are endless. But a comforter with shades of red and walls that are painted a light mint green may look a bit Christmas-y.
4. Add Greenery
Bringing life indoors is a great way to add splashes of color to your bedroom. Indoor houseplants have many proven health benefits that will help you create your dream room. Plants are able to purify your air from toxins, reduce stress, and promote productivity. Not only do they enhance your physical well-being, but they also look great anywhere they’re placed. Some common houseplants you may want to consider include succulents, ferns, snake plants, and bamboo.
5. Stay Organized
Lastly, it’s important you stay organized. Having a messy room can lead to scattered thoughts, which can cause underlying stress. Plus, a messy room can lead to a midnight tumble when you trip over a shoe on your way to the bathroom at 2 am. To stay organized, invest in dual-purpose furniture, such as beds with storage underneath, ottomans with built-in storage, bookshelves, and a well-sized dresser.
With these five tips handy, you’ll be on your way to creating the bedroom of your dreams. A comfortable mattress and bedding, a fresh coat of paint, some houseplants, and organization furniture are all you need to create the perfect sleeping sanctuary