A circular saw has a round, toothed blade that cuts via rotary motion while rotating around an arbor and is supported by a metal plate above the cutting surface (shoe).
Traditional corded circular saws are powerful, but their cabled design restricts their reach and utility because they require a nearby electrical outlet.
However, since cordless circular saws are battery-powered, they are easily transportable and can be used virtually anywhere. Consequently, these are the best cordless circular saws to consider purchasing.
How to Use a Cordless Circular Saw
This cordless saw model is a valuable tool due to technological advancements and its brushless motors and powerful batteries, which allow you to operate a 7 14-inch blade (same as corded saws). It is cordless and comes with its power source, so it can be utilized wherever necessary.
To maximize the performance of a saw, adhere to the following operation and safety guidelines.
Choose the Appropriate Blade – Although different blade types (such as rip blades, general-purpose blades, and crosscut blades) are utilized to cut various materials. Therefore, selecting the proper blade type for your cordless circular saw will result in precise cuts.
Installation of the Blade: After selecting the correct blade, install it according to the manual’s instructions. Using a wrench, remove the 5/8-inch bolt that holds the blade is driving in place. Ensure that the edge is facing the correct direction, as many blades have an arrow printed on them to indicate the right rotation direction.
Calibrate the Depth and Bevel Angle: We are aware that circular saws feature depth and bevel angle gauges. All you need to do is calibrate them properly for perfect material/object cutting.
Wear Safety Equipment: Before operating the cordless circular saw, it is essential to wear safety equipment, such as safety glasses, hand gloves, perfectly fitting shoes, ear protection, etc.
Safety Measures – Nearly all cordless circular saws (except those with 4-and-a-half-inch blades) necessitate manual operation for safe operation – a handle with a knob-like grip and trigger on the front of the device. Thus, it enables optimal saw control that prevents fingers from entering the blade’s path. Also, before cutting, ensure that the retractable guard is in place.
Operating the Saw: Mark the line on the selected piece of wood using a market to ensure an accurate cut. Align the saw’s blade on the wood’s edge with the marked line. Adjust the blade, so it extends slightly below the depth of the wood piece. However, not too much, as it makes it difficult for the saw to cut through the material.
After positioning the saw, the cutting process can begin. Activate the saw and permit the blade to operate at maximum speed. Now, slowly and carefully pull the saw through the wood. Permit the blade to complete its task without rushing or forcing the saw. Upon completion of the cut, immediately release the trigger and wait for the blade to stop spinning.
10 Best Cordless Circular Saws Review
Choosing the best cordless circular saw for your specific needs can be difficult, especially with so many different models and brands on the market.
Technology has advanced over the last few decades, making purchasing decisions even more difficult. Fortunately, our unique reviews include some of the best cordless circular saws on the market to assist you in making your decision.
1. Best Overall: Metabo HPT 36V MultiVolt™ Cordless Circular Saw
- AWARD: Metabo HPT C3607 was named the Best Cordless Circular Saw Overall in 2020 by Pro Tool Reviews
- CUT CAPACITY: 1-7/8-in at 45 degrees and 2-7/16-in at 90 degrees
- BATTERY: Capable of up to 220 cross cuts per charge (2-in x 8-in wood)
- MULTIVOLT: The MultiVolt Circular Saw is unique in that it can be powered by a 36V MultiVolt battery or AC adapter with cord (both sold separately)
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Only 9.7 lbs with battery for ease of use and less fatigue
- DUST BLOWER: Clears the cutting path of dust and debris to help with more accurate cuts
- ELECTRIC BRAKE: Electric brake for increased safety and productivity
- Excellent build quality
- Automatic speed control mode conserves battery life and runs quieter in niche applications
- Outperforms our corded worm drive
- Lightest among the Cordless Supersaws
- AC or DC power without switching saws
- MultiVolt battery is backward compatible to Metabo HPT and Hitachi 18V tools
- Secondary handle is too small and too close to the main handle
- No kit option available currently
2. Makita - Rear Handle 10-1/4 Circular Saw (GSR02Z)
- Leading Manufacturer Of High-Quality Products
- International Renown For Our Diverse Range Of Award-Winning Products
- Fully Equipped With State-Of-The-Art Technology
- All Products Have Been Designed With The Professional In Mind
- Constantly Modernizing Our Powerful Devices To Meet The Demands Of The Modern User
- Cutting Capacity
- Powerful Motor
- Safety features
- Secondary handle is a little small
3. BEST CORDLESS CIRCULAR SAW FOR METAL CUTTING: Milwaukee 2982-20 M18 Fuel 8" Metal Cutting Circular Saw
- INCLUDES: (1) M18 FUEL 8″ Metal Cutting Circular Saw (2982-20) (1) 42T Circular Saw Blade
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor: Purposely built for the M18 FUEL 8″ Metal Cutting Circular Saw to generate the power and performance of a 15A Corded Metal Cutting Circular Saw
- Cuts 120′ of Decking Per Charge, Blade Cut Capacity: 2-9/16″, Adjustable Depth
- Onboard Chip Collection, Dual Action Trigger, Overload Indicator Light
- Electric Blade Brake, Compatible with all M18 Batteries
- Impressively powerful – as powerful as a corded saw
- High output XC battery runs cool even under heavy use
- Effective chip collection keeps work area cleaner
- Cold cuts to get on with your work faster
- Overload light
- Tool body line of blade cover easily guides cut
- Fast-acting blade brake
- Caveat, not a con: it’s heavy at a skosh over 12 pounds
4. Best Value: SKIL 2x20V PWR CORE 20 XP Brushless 7-1/4” Rear Handle Circular Saw
- DELIVERS UP TO 600 CUTS PER CHARGE (based on 2×4 crosscuts in SPF lumber)
- CUTS 3X IN ONE PASS – Powers through tough materials with 2-9/16 In. depth of cut
- CORDLESS CIRCULAR SAW WITH 40V POWER – Powered by two PWR CORE 20 5.0Ah lithium-ion batteries, this 7-1/4 In. Rear Handle SKILSAW puts the cutting performance of a corded worm drive in a cordless saw
- DIGITAL BRUSHLESS MOTOR – Intelligent power management maximizes power and extends tool life
- 25% LONGER RUN TIME – PWR CORE 20 lithium-ion battery technology wraps each cell with cooling material to keep the batteries powering on for 25% longer run time and 2X battery life
- 15-MINUTE CHARGING – Innovative Dual Port PWR JUMP charger recharges both batteries from 0-25% in just 15 minutes, or 100% charge in under an hour
- DUST CONTROL – Adaptable dust port in the auxiliary handle directs sawdust away from the work area
- Easily powers thorugh difficult cuts
- Low friciton shoe design
- Impressive 2 9/16-in cutting depth at 90° (cuts 3x in one pass)
- Efficient dust and chip removal
- Dust extractor attachment comes standard
- Arm positioning can obscure sightline
- Bevel measurements are difficult to read
5. Bosch PROFACTOR 18V Circular Saw
- STRONG ARM PROFACTOR PERFORMANCE: delivers corded performance from an 18V cordless 7-1/4 In. saw
- 2-1/2 In. CUT CAPACITY: allows for easy cutting through 2X material across the entire bevel range
- ECO MODE: helps get the job done by extending runtime by up to 30%
- BITURBO BRUSHLESS TECHNOLOGY: featuring a brushless high-performance motor and drive-train system engineered to take full advantage of the additional power generated by CORE18V PROFACTOR batteries (sold separately)
- 50-DEGREE BEVEL RANGE: provides a bevel lock in the front
- TRACK COMPATIBILITY: for straight cuts fast, the saw is compatible with Bosch as well as select manufacturers’ tracks (sold separately)
- Battery & charger sold separately
- Smooth, accurate axial glide arms
- Excellent 7 1/4-inch base and 6-inch crown capacities
- Front-mounted bevel lock
- Excellent cutting power
- Outstanding accuracy
- Motor isn’t as smooth as a direct drive
6. Best DeWalt Cordless Circular Saw: FlexVolt Advantage DCS573
- UP TO 77% MORE POWER** when DEWALT 7 1/4 circular saw is paired with FLEXVOLT batteries
- FASTER CUTTING: Powerful brushless motor of the cordless circular saw delivers 5,500 RPM for faster cutting
- The compact circular saw has the maximum depth of cut of 2-9/16-inch at a 90 degree
- Maximum depth of cut of 2-inch at a 45 degree
- ELECTRIC BRAKE stops the blade after the trigger is released
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: Bright LED increases visibility and cut accuracy
- EASY STORAGE: Integrated rafter hook for quick and easy storage
- Competent cutting performance with standard 20V Max batteries and top-tier performance with FlexVolt batteries
- Accurate notches for tracking your cutline
- Excellent ergonomics
- Electronic blade brake
- Rafter hook
- Dust-port compatible (sold separately)
- Tool Connect Chip compatible (sold separately)
- Guard has has some hesitation on full-depth cuts at 45º bevel and on compound cuts
- Sightline to the blade isn’t great
7. MAKITA 18V X2 LXT CIRCULAR SAW XSH06
- Electric brake for maximum productivity
- Die-cast magnesium base, blade guard, and blade cover provide a lightweight, durable design
- Extreme Protection Technology (XPT) is engineered for improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh conditions
- Magnesium keeps the weight down
- Removable dust port
- AWS model (XSH07) in the works
- Very smooth cutting action
- Outperforms the 18V X2 Rear Handle Saw in out speed test
- 4-battery kit offers outstanding value in a premium saw
- Rafter hook doesn’t come standard but is an option (199386-8)
8. Best Affordable: BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* POWERCONNECT 5-1/2
- VERSATILE 5-1/2 IN. BLADE – Fast-cutting blade is ideal for a range of DIY tasks.
- VARIABLE-SPEED TRIGGER – For enhanced control over every job.
- ANGLED CUTS – Bevel detents at 45 and 90 degrees for angled cuts.
- TOOL-FREE DEPTH ADJUSTMENT – For quick and easy adjustments without extra tools.
- TOOL-FREE BLADE CHANGE – Swap out the blade without extra tools.
- PIVOTING SHOE – Provides additional control.
- POWERCONNECT BATTERY SYSTEM – Interchangeable battery system means you can use one battery for multiple different tools. (Battery not included.)
- High torque 3,700 RPM motor
- 0-50˚ bevel range with positive stops at 45˚ and 90˚
- Tool-free bevel and depth of cut adjustment
- No laser/light guidance
- Battery and charger not included
9. Best Mid-Sized Saw: Kobalt KCS 6524B-03
- 0-50° bevel with bevel stops allows for non-traditional cutting applications
- 6.73-lb ultra-compact design is easy to use, even in tight spaces
- Electric brake stops blade rotation when the trigger is released for added safety Built-in LED
- Compatible with all Kobalt 24-volt max batteries (battery and charger sold separately)
- 5-year limited warranty gives you peace of mind
- Powerful motor
- Easy shoe adjustments
- Great battery life
- No positive stops
- Inaccurate sightlines
10. Best Bang for Your Buck: SKIL 20V 6-1/2 Inch Circular Saw with LED Light
- CUT THROUGH WOOD WITH EASE—This cordless circular saw is the go-to wood-cutting tool for DIY projects around the house.
- FAST AND CLEAN CUTS—Make your cuts fast and accurate with the tool’s thin-kerf, carbide-tipped blade, with 24 teeth.
- MORE CONFIDENT CUTS – The saw line visor helps keep the cut straight.
- QUICK BEVEL ADJUSTMENT—A bevel cutting capacity from 0–50 degrees means you can reach the most commonly cut angles.
- QUICK DEPTH ADJUSTMENT—Effortless adjustment of cutting depth with a maximum capacity of 2-1/8 inch at 90 degrees.
- EASY GRIP HANDLE—Ergonomic design for two-handed operation ensures you have a comfortable and balanced grip.
- ENHANCED SAFETY—Lock-off lever provides an extra layer of safety.
- LED ILLUMINATION—LED lights let you clearly see your cutline, even if the light is dim.
- Long-lasting battery
- Spot-on sightlines
- Blade brake
- Average cutting power
- So-so shoe adjustments
What We Look For In The Best Cordless Circular Saws
Not too long ago, cordless circular saws had to be feathered compared to their corded counterparts. Today’s battery-powered options are vastly superior, and many brands’ flagship brushless models easily outperform 15-amp corded saws.
If cutting power is your top priority, you can expect to pay more for a saw. However, if you don’t mind taking your time, several excellent cordless options can help you complete the task for less money.
A misaligned arbor is not a factor in tracking; if this is the case, the saw should be returned. Occasionally, the handle design can encourage you to push to one side or the other, mainly when a saw’s front and rear handles are close together. Typically, you can quickly adjust to the design of the handle.
In some instances, the lip of a circular saw guard can catch. Even if the material is smooth on a standard cut, thin, miter, bevel, or compound cuts can reveal defects. Perform a series of test cuts on scrap material to determine if your guard catches on a specific type of cut so that you know when to lift it without dragging away from the cutline manually.
Dust and Chip Removal
Many of the best cordless circular saws have vacuum ports, which are superior at removing chips and dust than those without. The majority of our team, however, never uses a vacuum for regular cutting. We prefer a vacuum adapter that is either detachable or pivoting to direct the chips in the desired direction.
The majority of circular saws are effective at clearing dust and chips. The clearing deteriorates as RPMs decrease due to a slower top speed or bogging down. For effective clearing, search for models with at least 4500 RPM (5000 is preferable) and a brushless motor.
Handle comfort is a matter of personal preference, with hand size significantly determining what feels best. While rear handles are rarely problematic, our team prefers front handle designs that are not too thin, too close to the rear handle, or angled in an uncomfortable direction. Check to see if you can handle the saw in the store before taking it home. If you dislike the grip in the store, it is unlikely to improve as you cut.
Because you almost always cut on top of your material, the weight of your circular saw primarily comes into play when transporting it. Nonetheless, heavy saws can contribute to “stickier” cutting if the shoe is not sufficiently low friction. There is no reason to carry more weight than necessary, and it is possible to find a Pro-level saw that weighs less than 10 pounds with the battery.
Cost and Value
We place a premium on value and enjoy determining the best value for our budget. Start with what you know you’re willing to spend and work backward to establish your priorities. Here are the factors we consider when calculating value:
- Functional Design and characteristics
- Depth of compatible battery-powered equipment
- After-sales service and warranty
The distinction between 18V and 20V cordless circular saws is unclear. Many believe that 20V is more potent than 12V, but the voltages are identical.
More manufacturers are substituting 6-cell sets for 5-cell sets on 18V/20V max tools. These operate at a higher voltage. Marked 24V Max or 22V, their nominal voltage is 21.6V. They have the potential to produce more power or runtime with 20% more cells.
36V/40V Max batteries are a means of increasing power. Makita and Skil have two-battery systems combining 18V/20V maximum batteries in series to achieve a higher voltage. Makita also offers the 40V max XGT line, whereas Metabo HPT offers the 36V MultiVolt system.
This circular saw is powerful. Equipped with a 60V battery (it won’t work with 20V maximum batteries), it also has a long runtime, which you may need because this saw performs well on almost any task. The blade is located on the right, the same side as most corded saws, so you’ll feel right at home using it.
Yes, it is possible to cut the material without a table. However, most experts recommend using a table (to secure the material) when cutting with a circular saw. If you don’t have access to a table, connect the material in any other way to ensure a precise cut. For example, clamp it down, which is the standard method for cutting without a table. However, holding the material in one hand while operating the saw with the other is not advisable. As a result, you sustain injuries, and the material is improperly cut.
The number of cuts a cordless circular saw can make before needing to be recharged is typically used by manufacturers to rank them. However, it is somewhat difficult to calculate since different types of materials require other cuts, which need varying power levels. A typical cordless model can make 300 cuts without difficulty on a single charge.
Most people believe that circular saws can only be used to cut wood. However, this is untrue; it is an effective cutting tool for various materials, including plastic, melamine, stone, tile, concrete, drywall, tile bricks, metal, and particleboard. Remember to replace the blade when cutting different materials (per the material cutting requirements).
Manufacturers design circular saws with left-side blades and the motor and other weight on the right side of the saw. So, with this configuration, the stabilizing knob will be held with the right hand while the trigger handle will be held with the left. Thus, it provides maximum visibility and permits the user to obtain a vivid view of the cutline to make a flawless cut.
In conclusion, cordless circular saws are essential additions to your toolkit. As you can see, these saws have slightly different features, but they are all designed to make the perfect cut.
Consequently, using our purchasing guide, you should be able to select the best cordless circular saw for your needs from the models reviewed.