The new iPad Pro comes with a next-generation Apple Pencil hover experience, ProRes video capture, superfast Wi-Fi 6E, and powerful iPadOS 16 features.
Apple announced today the new iPad Pro with the M2 chip, which provides the ultimate combination of portability, versatility, and incredible performance. The new iPad Pro includes the world’s most advanced mobile display, pro cameras, Face ID, Thunderbolt, and a four-speaker audio system, as well as a next-level Apple Pencil, hover experience, and superfast wireless connectivity. Stage Manager, full external display support,1 desktop-class app, and Reference Mode are just a few of the new features in iPadOS 16. iPad Pro has an incredible ecosystem of powerful pro apps unlike any other device of its kind, thanks to its advanced hardware and iPadOS 16. The new iPad Pro is available for pre-order today and will be available in stores on Wednesday, October 26.
“The next-generation iPad Pro pushes the boundaries of what’s possible on iPad,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The new iPad Pro, powered by the M2 chip, offers incredible performance and the most advanced technologies, including a next-level Apple Pencil hover experience, ProRes video capture, superfast wireless connectivity, and powerful iPadOS 16 features.” It’s unlike anything else.”
The M2 Chip Delivers Outstanding Performance
M2, the first M-series chip from Apple, brings even more breakthrough performance and capabilities to the iPad Pro, including industry-leading power efficiency, a unified memory architecture, and custom technologies.
M2 has an 8-core CPU that is up to 15% faster than M1 and has improvements in both performance and efficiency cores, as well as a 10-core GPU that delivers up to 35% faster graphics performance for the most demanding users. The 16-core Neural Engine, when combined with the CPU and GPU, can process 15.8 trillion operations per second — 40% more than M1 — making the iPad Pro even more powerful when handling machine learning tasks. The M2 chip also has 100GB/s of unified memory bandwidth, which is 50% more than the M1 chip, and supports up to 16GB of fast unified memory, which makes multitasking and working with large assets even easier. 2
M2’s performance boosts even the most demanding workflows, from photographers editing massive photo libraries to designers manipulating complex 3D objects, to healthcare professionals performing advanced imaging and analysis, and gamers playing graphics-intensive games. M2’s power also extends to the new media engine and image signal processor, which, when combined with advanced cameras, allow users to capture ProRes video for the first time and transcode ProRes footage up to three times faster. This means that content creators can capture, edit, and publish cinema-quality video in the field using a single device.
A Superior Apple Pencil Hover Experience
Hover with Apple Pencil (2nd generation) provides a completely new dimension for users to interact with their screen, powered by the new iPad Pro and iPadOS 16. Apple Pencil can now be detected up to 12 mm above the display, giving users a preview of their mark before making it. This also allows users to sketch and illustrate with greater precision, making everything they do with the Apple Pencil easier. Text fields, for example, expand automatically when the pencil is near the screen in Scribble, and handwriting converts to text even faster. This new feature can also be used by third-party apps to create entirely new marking and drawing experiences.
Wireless Connectivity at Breakneck Speed
The new iPad Pro supports the fastest Wi-Fi connections with Wi-Fi 6E3, allowing users who require fast connections to take their demanding workflows with them wherever they go. Download speeds can reach 2.4Gb/s, which is twice as fast as the previous generation. Wi-Fi + Cellular models with 5G (sub-6GHz and mmWave4) now support more 5G networks around the world, allowing users to access files, communicate with colleagues, and back up data while on the go. 5
iPadOS 16 enables unrivaled pro features
In addition to significant updates to Messages, new tools in Mail and Safari, a new Weather app, and new ways to interact with photos and video via Live Text and Visual Look Up, iPadOS 16 introduces powerful productivity features that enhance the iPad Pro experience:
- Stage Manager is a completely new multitasking experience that automatically organizes apps and windows, making switching between tasks quick and easy. Later this year, Stage Manager will support full external display resolutions of up to 6K, allowing users to create the ideal workspace and work with up to four apps on iPad and up to four apps on the external display.
- Desktop-class apps enable new capabilities optimized for the iPad Pro display, such as consistent undo and redo, a redesigned inline find-and-replace experience, a new document menu, customizable toolbars, and the ability to change file extensions, view folder size in Files, and more.
- The 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display can match color requirements in workflows such as review and approval, color grading, and compositing, where accurate colors and consistent image quality are critical. That means pro users, such as photographers and videographers, will be able to edit HDR images and videos with every true-to-life detail in their hands, and cinematographers on set will be able to preview content in a color profile that represents the final capture.
The Environment and the iPad
The new iPad models are environmentally friendly, with 100 percent recycled gold — a first for iPad — used in the plating of multiple printed circuit boards, as well as recycled aluminum, tin, and rare earth elements. All iPad models meet Apple’s stringent energy efficiency standards and are free of mercury, BFR, PVC, and beryllium. The new iPad Pro’s redesigned packaging eliminates the outer plastic wrap, and 99 percent of the packaging is fiber-based, bringing Apple closer to its goal of eliminating plastic from all packaging by 2025.
Apple is currently carbon neutral for global corporate operations and plans to be carbon neutral across the entire manufacturing supply chain and product life cycles by 2030. This means that every Apple device sold will have a net-zero environmental impact, from component manufacturing to assembly, transport, customer use, and charging, all the way through recycling and material recovery.
Pricing and Availability
- The new iPad Pro is available to order today, October 18, at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in 28 countries and regions, including the United States, with in-store availability beginning Wednesday, October 26.
- The new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will be available in silver and space gray finishes, with storage capacities of 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB.
- The Wi-Fi model of the 11-inch iPad Pro costs $799 (US), while the Wi-Fi + Cellular model costs $999 (US). The Wi-Fi + Cellular model costs $1,099 (US), while the Wi-Fi + Cellular model costs $1,299 (US).
- Apple Pencil (2nd generation), available separately for $129, is compatible with the new iPad Pro (US).
- Magic Keyboard is available in black and white for the new 11-inch iPad Pro for $299 (US) and $349 (US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with layouts for over 30 languages.
- The Smart Keyboard Folio for the new iPad Pro costs $179 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $199 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- The Smart Folio costs $79 (US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $99 (US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro and is available in black, white, and marine blue.
- Current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and home-school teachers of all grade levels have access to education pricing. The new 11-inch iPad Pro costs $749 (US), while the 12.9-inch iPad Pro costs $999. (US). The second-generation Apple Pencil costs $119 (USD), while the Smart Keyboard Folio costs $159 (USD) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $179 (USD) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The Magic Keyboard will cost $279 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $329 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Visit apple.com/us-hed/shop for more information.
- iPadOS 16, a powerful operating system designed specifically for iPad, will be available starting Monday, October 24, and will come standard with the new iPad Pro. iPadOS 16 will be a free software update for all iPad (5th generation and later), iPad mini (5th generation and later), iPad Air (3rd generation and later), and iPad Pro models.
- Customers can exchange their old iPad for credit toward a new one. Apple will credit the value to their payment method once their device has been received and verified.
- Engrave your iPad with a meaningful combination of emojis, names, initials, and numbers, all for free, only at apple.com/store or in the Apple Store app.
- Apple offers a variety of services to customers both in-store and online. Apple ensures that the best way to buy Apple products is through Apple Store locations and apple.com/store, with personalized support and advice from Apple Specialists and convenient delivery and pickup options.
With the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984, Apple revolutionized personal technology. With the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV, Apple now leads the world in innovation. Apple’s five software platforms — iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS — provide consistent experiences across all Apple devices and enable people to take advantage of ground-breaking services such as the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, and iCloud. Apple’s over 100,000 employees are committed to creating the best products on the planet and to leaving the world a better place than we found it.
- A software update later this year will include full external display support for Stage Manager on M1 and M2 iPad models.
- The performance of the iPad Pro is compared to the previous generation.
- Wi-Fi 6E is not available in China or Japan.
- mmWave is currently only available in the United States and Puerto Rico.
- 5G wireless coverage and plans are required. The speeds will differ. For more information, contact the carriers.