Most essential things a newborn baby needs
The baby needs his first clothes immediately after birth – The purchase of the initial equipment for her baby makes most expectant moms a lot of joy. The “thousand little things” for the baby and the nursery, however, want to be well planned. Our overview here shows which purchases are important for the first days of life.
Which baby clothes are necessary for the initial equipment?
The baby needs his first clothes immediately after birth – so bodysuits, rompers, chemises and baby socks are also in the bag for the clinic.
However, too many baby clothes should not be purchased by expectant mothers for their child’s first few weeks of life – or buy multiple sizes from the start.
Babies are growing fast, and in the smallest sizes 56 and 62, they probably will not fit in within a few weeks.
The initial equipment of clothes includes best:
- 6-8 bodysuits – short-sleeved and long-sleeved, which should be opened at the front and not pulled over the head.
- 6-8 stampers or pants
- 6-8 tops with short & long arms
- four tights or leggings with feet
- Two caps – best of wool-silk and once pure cotton, so a heat accumulation is avoided. For safety reasons, the bonnets should have no ligaments
- 2-3 caps – depending on the season, either thicker or slightly thinner
- 4-6 thicker suckling babies often have cold feet
- 2-3 sleeping bags – 1 of them for the colder season
- two jackets – one thick & one thin
- 1-2 bibs
- The little ones like to feel their feet, and it makes it easier for mom and dad to get dressed
- one triangle scarf – so nothing lands on the clothes when the baby spits
- Winter suit if necessary – in the transitional period overalls made of fleece or wool fleece are recommended
Baby clothes must be washed before wearing for the first time; fabric softener should not be used throughout the baby’s life because of the risk of skin irritation and allergies.
Baby clothing made of ecological materials, whose manufacture is subject to particularly strict quality standards and controls, is particularly skin and environmental friendly.
Babys first furniture
When setting up the baby room, it’s all about the basic equipment at the beginning. Important are first the baby bed, a changing facility and enough storage space for clothes, wrapping and care utensils. Almost always, the baby will sleep in his parents’ bedroom for at least the first six months.
In the first weeks of life, a cradle or a bassinet is needed. A very practical alternative is a Babybay. This is a side bed, which is open to the parent’s bed. The baby will greatly enjoy the physical closeness to mother or father. Comfortable for the mother is that she can breastfeed her baby at night without getting up for it.
2 to 4 bedding sets in the sizes 80 x 80cm or 100 x 135cm for the cot with mattress are also important. The mattress of the baby bed should be neither too hard nor too soft so that the baby can not sink. 2-4 fitted sheets and moisture-proof bed liners are also very handy for the cot.
However, most parents, together with the initial equipment, also buy a “real” cot right away. Not only coziness is important, but above all high – and possibly certified – safety. 2 to 4 bedding sets in the sizes 80 x 80cm or 100 x 135cm for the cot with mattress are also important.
The mattress of the baby bed should be neither too hard nor too soft so that the baby can not sink. 2-4 fitted sheets and moisture-proof bed liners are also very handy for the cot. For a better and quieter sleep can provide a backpack.
Pillows are not required for the initial equipment – the safest and healthiest child sleeps initially without pillows.
A baby monitor is very helpful if the baby is sleeping in a different room or floor then you are during this time. So you can still hear when your baby needs you. There are many models with or without a screen.
When choosing, you should consider which is best for you and your baby.
For changing and nursing a changing table, a changing table or a mobile winding board, which are each provided with a sufficient fall protection. Changing tables or drawers should always be so high that mother or father can stand straight in the baby care.
The basic equipment for the nursery also includes a padded changing table top, which can be cleaned quickly and easily. Many changing table covers, however, according to studies by well-known consumer organizations, are burdened with plasticizers and other harmful substances – a cotton cloth on the support reliably protects the baby from direct contact with it.
If necessary, a heat lamp and a diaper or pedal bin complete the furnishings of the baby room.
Care utensils for the new earthlings
Various care utensils ensure that the baby feels completely comfortable. In the initial equipment include:
- Diapers – either disposable or cloth diapers (at least 15 in the smallest size)
- Baby bath or bath bucket
- Water bowl – this is already integrated into many changing tables
- Bath thermometer
- Oil or wet wipes for gentle cleansing of the skin
- Shampoo baby’s fluff does not have to be washed with shampoo every time you take a bath
- Baby oil or moisturizer – the cream should be ph-neutral
- Wrap or Wundcreme- if the Po should be sore
- two bath towels – preferably with a hood , so the baby is not exposed to drafts
- 2 washcloths
- soft hairbrush
- a baby nail scissors
- some cotton diapers as burp cloths for the baby
Breastfeeding and nutrition
Breast milk is the healthiest and most uncomplicated diet for a baby in the first few months of life.
Nursing mothers need some well-fitting nursing bras and nursing pads, and the purchase of a breast pump can be helpful depending on the advice of the doctor. Nursing mothers should have about four nursing bras and one breastfeeding for the night in the closet. A sufficient number of Spucktuchern for the baby is also always meaningful, Mullwindeln is particularly well here.
A nursing pillow provides comfort for mother and child. On mothers who do not breastfeed, when buying the original equipment waits for a slightly longer shopping list – in this case, are necessary from the beginning:
- 5 to 6 vials made of plastic or glass
- two drinking teat for milk and tea- as tea is more liquid than milk, if the teat has different sized openings, the baby can not swallow
- High-quality baby food – Pre-food is recommended
- bottle brush
- Optional: bottle and baby food warmer and a sterilizer for the microwave
- one baby food warmer
- one sterilizer for the disinfection of vials and nipples
- two soothers or pacifiers in size 1- cherry pacifiers are recommended by midwives, these are most similar to the mother’s breast
- one thermos bottle and a bottle cooler simplify the preparation of milk on the go especially
Mobility for babies
A stroller is almost always part of the basic and initial equipment.
Parents have a lot of choices here. It is important that the “baby mobile” is safe (TÜV certificate!), Comfortable and well sprung.
The stroller, of course, includes a matching mattress, sheets, Moltontücher mattress protection and pad for the head, rain and a sunscreen and a season-appropriate blanket for the baby. In the cold season, a lambskin or a winter sleeping bag provides warmth and comfort. A diaper bag with everything needed on the go is also important. For hygienic reasons, a suitable changing mat in public places is always an advantage.
As a stroller alternative, many mothers use slings or other baby carriers: babies usually feel particularly comfortable because of their closeness to their mothers. Also, carrying aids are practical in everyday life and healthy for the child.
Indispensable for mobility with the baby and for children up to twelve years are required by law car seats, which must meet current test criteria. The initial equipment includes a baby shell of the groups 0 and 0+, which must also be taken to the clinic.
If the baby does not sleep at home in bed, a travel cot can serve as a place to sleep.
What about baby toys?
In his first days of life, a baby does not need a toy yet, so it’s not necessary for the original equipment. However, most parents do not want to give it up – and after a few weeks, the baby is happy about his first toy.
Handrims, mobiles, a music box and of course a small, soft cuddly toy is also very suitable for the first time. Although a pacifier is not a real toy, it is sometimes indispensable for baby’s wellbeing. When buying a dummy chain care should be taken that this should not be longer than 20cm.
A baby blanket should not be too small so that the baby is not so fast from the ceiling in his first attempts at locomotion.
Already in his first days of life, a baby needs “a thousand small things” – the parents usually enjoy great joy when they buy the initial equipment for their child.
THE INITIAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDES:
- a not too extensive range of baby clothes in the smallest sizes
- the basic equipment for the baby room
- Cradle, bassinet or Babybay as a bed in the bedroom of the parents
- Baby cosmetics and care utensils
- Nursing accessories or vials, teats and other accessories for baby milk nutrition
- a stroller and stroller accessories, possibly also a sling or another carrying aid
- a car seat for the car (which is already needed for the drive home from the clinic)