Camping holidays are popular – but those who want to travel with their tent should make some preparations. Especially if you want to be independent of the weather. In the case of a tent, it is essential that this is protected against moisture and only those who impregnate the tent can also prevent rain.
The bad news: no matter which fabric is a tent, it will not be waterproofed by impregnation. However, the so-called bead effect is achieved, whereby the moisture is not absorbed so quickly by the substance and water can not penetrate into the tissue. Against light rain or with condensation, impregnation is therefore very useful. If a tent has been impregnated, this can dry faster due to the beading effect. This is especially important for hiking tents and trekking tents, as these have little time to dry.
The required materials are besides on both hands
- clear water
- a liquid impregnator
- And a spray impregnator
- a suitable tub for liquid impregnation
Instructions for the liquid
impregnator This is an impregnation for the large area application. As a rule, liquid impregnants consist of wax, parafine, and water.
- Before impregnation, the fabric is cleaned with clear water only and then let the fabric dry.
- A specified quantity of water is diluted with water by the liquid impregnator.The indication is on the package.
- It is best to immerse the tissue in this solution for about ten to twenty minutes.For the liquid version, a bathtub is very suitable.
- If the full dive is not possible, the solution can also be applied directly to the tent.For this purpose, a sponge is most appropriate.Unfortunately, fogging or white spots may occur.
- Afterwards, the fabric is suspended without drying to dry.
Instructions for the impregnation from a spray can
The variant for spraying is designed for small areas and should suffice for post-impregnation.
- In the open, the tent is set up at the beginning.Suitable is a courtyard or the garden.
- The fabric must be thoroughly washed and dried before impregnation.
- From the outside, the tent is sprayed and the spray should not be inhaled.
- Particularly carefully, parts of the tent are impregnated, which is particularly exposed to the rain.
- Then the fabric should dry well before the tent is packed.Spray traces can remain on the fabric, which is however usually away with the next condensation water.
An impregnation is versatile and can be used to make raincoats, backpacks or shoes weatherproof. Impregnation is available in outdoor shops, supermarkets and also in the construction market.