Who does not know this: one wants to clean up its Mac and delete a few unused data, to free again memory space. An unguarded moment and you delete by mistake also files, which one still wanted to keep. But there are ways to save accidentally deleted files.
Restoring data from the Recycle Bin
As long as files are still in the Recycled Recycled Bin, they are easy to retrieve. Depending on which version of Mac is used, you need two to three steps.
- To open the recycle bin of your Mac, click the icon at the far right of the menu bar.
- Clicking on the deleted files you want to will select them.
- Next, open the source folder of the deleted data.
- In Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, drag and drop the data from the Recycle Bin. To do this, click on one of the selected files with the left mouse button and hold down the button. Afterwards, you have to move the mouse over to the source folder and release the mouse button.
- In Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, there is the “Reset” function. You just need to click on one of the selected files in the Recycle Bin with the right mouse button and select the “Return” menu item in the grid. Already the data is restored.
Restoring files with Time Machine
Time Machine is a Mac OS X-integrated backup program. It makes periodic backups of the operating system, including documents, images, etc. To save time with “Time Machine” data, you should follow these steps:
- To open the “Time Machine,” go to the system of the same name and select “Open Time Machine.” In the new window, you can view different views of saved times.
- On the right side, you see a time line. You can select the exact time (if known) where you deleted files. The pink-colored data indicates that the files are present in the backup and white-colored data indicate that the files already exist on the Mac.
- As before, you need to select the files you want to save, then select the “Restore” menu item to restore the data to the Mac.
Further possibilities for data recovery
If you do not want to access “Time Machine, ” or you can not find the files you want, you can get a so-called recovery program for Mac. These programs are available in different versions on the Internet – free of charge or for a small purchase price. After the software is installed, it analyzes Mac’s hard disks and then provides an overview of deleted files and whether they are recoverable. You can then select the files that you want to save and restore them from the program.