Delicious jams enrich every breakfast table. Their quality depends on the right choice of the fruit. These should be fresh and just ripe. Fruit which has already been immortalized is not suitable. The ideal is fruit from the own orchard or directly from the producer. When it is necessary to go fast, it is also possible to use frozen fruit (caution: still frozen) for the production of jams.
A particularly vitamin rich and all around the year freshly available Alleskönner is the apple. As a compote, jelly or mus, for cakes, cakes and as a base for jams – with apples may be varied. Also, they contain abundant pectin – and that is the basis for successful gelling in the production of jam. So why not make jam from apples? With this recipe no problem …
Ingredients for a glass of apple jam (370 grams)
- 250 grams of apple pulp, preferably sour, for example, the variety Golden Delicious, it has a strong aroma or the Delbar Estivale
- Juice half a lemon or half an orange
- a teaspoon of ground vanilla or a vanilla pod
- each a knife top ground ginger and cinnamon
- 125 grams of commercial gelling sugar
- Peel the washed apples, quarters, and remove their core shells.
- Dice the pulp, mix in a bowl with the sugar, the spices, and the juice. Cover the dish with a freshly-held film, and let it pass through the refrigerator (overnight).
- Rinsea jam jar and the screw cap under hot water and let it dry on a cloth.
- Lift the prepared fruit mixture into a coated pan and simmer for about seven minutes at high heat. Stir the mixture in between. About 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time crush the fruit pieces with a fork. The foam does not have to be removed.
- Fill the fruit mass immediately with a trowel into the jam jar until about one centimeter below the edge. Screw the glass and place it on a cloth until it has cooled. This sterilizes the contents and lasts longer.
- The fruit mixture can be refined with 2 cl Calvados.
- For an apple-pear jam, use 125 grams each of these fruits.
- Instead of the gelatin sugar, use 150 grams of sugar, caramelize this and add to the pulp with 20 grams of chopped pecans, almonds or hazelnuts and cook in the pan as described.
- Anyone who likes jam in the consistency can extend the cooking time by five minutes.
- Preserve marmalades and store at a temperature between 15 and 18 degrees Celsius.