How to Clean Silver with Aluminum Foil
Silver shines in its splendor without any effort
Silver cutlery, jewelry or other antiques from silver will get a black layer after some time. Also known as silver sulfide. Previously they needed house staff to let the objects shine again in their glamor. Today, several simple means are used to aid the polish by a chemical action.
Required materials for cleaning with aluminum foil
- 1 pot
- 1 liter of water
- Six tablespoons of cooking salt
- One piece of aluminum foil (slightly larger than the pan)
How is the silver cutlery cleaned with aluminum foil?
- The cup is first filled with 1 liter of water, and six tablespoons of cooking salt (sodium chloride) are added. This solution is heated until it boils.
- Now put the not too tightly pressed aluminum foil in one piece into the water.
- Then the silver cutlery, on which silver sulfide has spread on the surface, is put into the pot or laid. In the case of the cleaning, it is of particular importance that the object gets in contact with the aluminum foil. Within a short span of time, the black layer disappears, and the silver cutlery returns to its original luster.
The sulfur compounds produced during the purification are characterized by an unpleasant smell (rotten eggs or garlic). The aluminum foil turns black and becomes black. This is probably because there is no decomposition with metals alloyed with aluminum.
More tips for silver cutlery
so it remains nice clean and shiny.
- The purification can be intensified by the acidification of the above solution with an acetic acid, citric acid, or dilute sulfuric acid. Never, however, should hydrochloric acid be used!
- To delay the formation of the silver sulfide as far as possible, a dry storage of the silver objects is indispensable. Also, the silver cutlery can be easily rolled into cotton. Another alternative is to place in the cutlery drawer a piece of chalk. The best alternative is, in any case, the daily use, since the subsequent cleaning prevents the tarnishing.
- Nowadays a dishwasher is used in many households. Silver cutlery and stainless steel cutlery should be cleaned in a separate rinse cycle. Otherwise, the risk of starting the silver cutlery is great.
- It is recommended to clean silver by hand.